Enable research and scholarship eminence through innovative, shared technological advances made available to researchers.
Form an institute to support research computing.
- Establish a governance structure (leadership council) to oversee shared assests and solutions.
- Enable the sharing of research computing resources, network and applications by participating in external clouds or grids.
+ - Establish a sustainable funding and management structure for research computing cyberinfrastructure and services. Click to collapse
- Support campus research computing needs by seeking external funding for infrastructure (e.g. shared instrumentation grants).
- Identify ways to leverage resources in existing IT services, collegiate IT groups and faculty labs.
- Partner with researchers and administrators to develop sustainable funding models.
+ - Enhance existing IT services to align with the needs of the research community. Click to collapse
- Promote awareness of IT services and tools for researchers.
- Enhance the UAB newtork to include the deployment of IPV6, DNS-SEC and ubiquitous 100Mb connectivity.
- Pilot a condor cluster.
- Expand the electronic researcher notebook (toolkit).
- Explore the SOX research private cloud storage and backup solution.
- Formalize an information security plan for the research community.
- Create a research data management plan and framework designed to protect research data to support bio-information while promoting research collaboration and data sharing.
- Develop best practices and standards for information security (onsite and hosted).
- Expand business continuity planning and disaster recovery preparedness.
Resources for researchers: