Peter Nagi, M.D.
Peter A. Nagi, MD
Medical Director, UAB Pain Treatment Clinic
Dr. Peter A. Nagi is an associate professor in the UAB Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine. Dr. Nagi joined the faculty of the UAB Department of Anesthesiology in 2006, after completing his pain medicine fellowship at Duke University. Dr. Nagi serves as medical director of the UAB Pain Treatment Clinic, director of the Pain Medicine Fellowship Program and co-directs the Resident Mentored Research Experience Track.
His areas of interest include acute and chronic pain, regional anesthesia, pain research, and genetic research.
Education and Degrees
- University of Alabama School of Medicine, Medical Doctor, 1999
- University of South Florida College of Medicine, General Surgery Residency, 2001
- University of South Florida College of Medicine, Anesthesiology and Critical Care Residency, 2005
- Duke University School of Medicine, Interventional Pain Medicine Fellowship, 2006
Awards and Honors
- Presidential Scholar, Full Academic Scholarship, University of Alabama
- Gulf Atlantic Anesthesia Clinical Research Award, University of South Florida
- National Research Service Grant Award, University of Alabama
- Presidential Plenary Speaker, Society of Surgeons of the Alimentary Tract, University of Alabama
- Basic Science Research Award, Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Alabama State Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia
- American Pain Society
- International Association for the Study of Pain
- American Medical Association
- American Medical Association Political Action Committee
Selected Publications (full publication list)
- Vila H Jr, Smith RA, Augustyniak MJ, Nagi PA, Soto RG, Ross TW, Cantor AB, Strickland JM, Miguel RV. The efficacy and safety of pain management before and after implementation of hospital-wide pain management standards: is patient safety compromised by treatment based solely on numerical pain ratings? Anesth Analg. 2005 Aug;101(2):474-80
- Nagi PA, Vickers SM. Nutritional Requirements Following Cancer Treatment/Surgery. In: Bales CW, Ritchie CS, eds. Handbook of Clinical Nutrition and Aging. Totowa, New Jersey: Humana, 2003.
- Haviv YS, Takayama K, Nagi PA, Tousson A, Cook W, Wang M, Lam JT, Naito S, Lei X, Carey DE, Curiel DT. Modulation of renal glomerular disease using remote delivery of adenoviral-encoded solubletype II TGF-beta receptor fusion molecule. J Gene Med. 2003 Oct;5(10):839-51
- Nagi P, Vickers SM, Davydova J, Adachi Y, Takayama K, Barker S, Krasnykh V, Curiel DT, Yamamoto M. Development of a therapeutic adenoviral vector for cholangiocarcinoma combining tumor-restricted gene expression and infectivity enhancement. J Gastrointest Surg. 2003 Mar-Apr;7(3):364-71.
- Ho KY, Nagi PA, Gray L, Huh BK. An alternative approach to ganglion impar neurolysis under computed tomography guidance for recurrent vulva cancer. Anesthesiology. 2006 Oct;105(4):861-2