Pain Treatment Clinic at Highlands
The UAB Pain Treatment Clinic at UAB Highlands Hospital provides consultative services related to acute and chronic pain management with an emphasis on the unique services that can be provided by pain fellowship-trained clinicians. These include procedural therapies such as epidural steroid injections, sympathetic nervous system blockader, joint and bursa injections, muscular trigger point injections and peripheral nerve blocks. Therapeutic injections include use of local anesthetics, corticosteroids and neurolytic substances. Consultative services related to a comprehensive evaluation and recommendations for nonprocedural management are also readily available.
Ryan Almeida, M.D.
Brandon Brooks, M.D.
Jason McKeown, M.D.
Peter Nagi, M.D.
Timothy Ness, M.D., Ph.D.
Alethia Baldwin Sellers, M.D.
Roland Short, M.D.
Mercy Udoji, M.D.
Thomas R. Vetter, M.D., M.P.H.
James N. Weisberg, Ph.D.
General Clinic Information
We are located on the 3rd floor of UAB Highlands. Our office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Please call (205) 930-8966 with any questions or concerns.
To schedule an appointment, please call (205) 930-8966, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. In the event that you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call either of the numbers listed above. If possible, we appreciate your cancellation at least 24 hours in advance.
After Hours and Emergencies
If you need to reach a physician after hours, please call UAB Paging at (205) 934-3411 and ask for the Inpatient Pain Service (IPS) resident on call. If this is a true medical emergency, please dial 911 for immediate assistance.
What to Bring with You
When you come to your appointment, please bring your insurance card, drivers license, a list of any medications that you are currently taking (including dosage amount), any X-rays, lab results, or other medical information that your referring physician has not already sent to our clinic, and a copy of your physician referral (if applicable). Medical information may also be faxed prior to your appointment time to (205) 930-8985.
If you are having an in-office procedure in the Pain Treatment Clinic:
- Do not eat, drink, or smoke for six hours before your appointment time. You may take your regular daily medications (i.e. blood pressure or heart medication), with a sip of water.
- If you are currently taking blood thinners, please call (205) 930-8966. Blood thinners include Aspirin, Coumadin, Plavix, Heparin, Loveneox injections, and BC or Goody’s headache powder. Some procedures require you to discontinue these medications for at least 7 days prior to the procedure.
- You must bring someone to drive you home. Your driver must be at the Pain Clinic for your entire appointment or your procedure will have to be rescheduled.
- You may shower/bathe the morning of the procedure as you normally would.
- If you have X-rays, CT scans, or MRI results from another facility, relating to your current condition, please bring them with you.
- Please complete the following forms in advance and bring them to your visit: Patient History sheet, Pain Assessment Questionnaire, and Missed Appointment policy.
Some insurance providers may require a referral or pre-certification before seeing a specialist of this nature. Please be sure to bring a copy of this referral or pre-certification with you for insurance/billing purposes. If you are unsure of what your insurance company requires, please contact them in advance of your appointment and they will be happy to answer any of your questions. Your co-pay is expected at the time of your visit; however, our financial counselors are available to discuss any problems or special circumstances. Our financial counselors may be reached Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at (205) 801-9910. If your visit is being covered by workers compensation, please bring the name and phone number of your employer and case manager. If you have any billing questions or concerns, please contact our Billing Customer Service line at (205) 801-6055.
Location and Parking
The UAB Pain Treatment Clinic is located adjacent to the UAB Highlands Emergency entrance on 12th Street South. Patients may take advantage of convenient free parking in the deck across the street.