Andrea L. Cherrington, MD MPH
Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 624
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 996-2885
Fax: (205) 975-5199
Developing, implementing and evaluating community-based interventions to promote weight loss and improve the outcomes of disadvantaged populations at high risk for developing chronic disease, specifically diabetes.
- Georgetown University, Washington, DC, BSFS, 1989-1994,
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, MD, 1995-1999
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, MPH, 2005
- American College of Physicians, Society of General Internal Medicine
- American Diabetes Association
- American Association for Public Health
- Associate Scientist, UAB Minority Health and Research Center
- Associate Scientist, UAB Center for Outcomes and Effectiveness Research and Education
- Associate Scientist, UAB Clinical Nutrition Research Center
- UAB Online Cultural Competency Steering Committee Chair, Committee on Hypertension, Cahaba Valley Health Care
- Committee on Community Issues, Obesity Task Force for Alabama
- Co-director of the Community Engagement Core for the Diabetes research and Training Center
Selected Recent Publications
- Cherrington A, Ayala GX, Krier A, Amick H, Corbie-Smith G Allison J. Scarinci I. Implementing the Community Health Worker
Model to Diabetes Management: Challenges and Lessons Learned from Programs Across the US. The Diabetes Educator October
2008, 34(5); 824-833.
- Cherrington A, Ayala GX, Krier A, Amick H, Scarinci I, Allison J, Corbie-Smith G. Applying the Community Health Worker Model to Diabetes Management: Using Mixed Methods to Assess Implementation and Effectiveness. Journal of Health Care for the
Poor and Underserved October 2008, 19(4); 1044-1059.
- Levine D, Scarinci I, Allison J, Cherrington A, Houston T. Disparities in Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose among low-income
ethnic minority populations with diabetes, United States. Ethnicity and Disease, Spring 2009, 19:97-103.
- Cherrington A, Wallson K, Rothman R. Association between diabetes self efficacy, depressive symptoms and glycemic control
among men and women with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, November 2009 (epub ahead of print).
- Cherrington A, Lewis E, McCreath H, Herman C. Association of Complementary and Alternative Medicine Use, Demographic
Factors Hysterectomy and Peri-menopausal Symptoms: the ENDOW Study. Family and Community Health. March 2003;
- Cherrington A, Ayala GX, Sleath B, Corbie-Smith G. Examining knowledge, attitudes and beliefs about depression among Latino
immigrants with type two diabetes. Diabetes Education. July/August 2006; 32(4): 603-13.
- Wallston K, Rothman R, Cherrington A. Psychometric Properties of the Perceived Diabetes Self-Management Scale (PDSMS).
Journal of Behavioral Science. Oct 2007, 30(5); 395-401.
- Cherrington A, Corbie-Smith G, Pathman D. Do adults who believe in well-visits receive more clinical preventive services? Preventive Medicine. October 2007; 45(4); 282-289.
- Huizinga MM, Elasy TA, Wallston K, Cavanaugh K, Davis D, Gregory R, Fuchs L, Malone R, Cherrington A, Pignone M,
DeWalt D, Buse J, Rothman R. Development of the Diabetes Numeracy Test (NDT) BMC Health Services Research 2008, 8;96.
- Rothman R, Montori V, Cherrington A, Pignone M. Perspective: The Role of Numeracy in Health Care. Journal of Health
Communication 2008, 13 (6); 583-95.
- 2008-2011 Robert Wood Johnson Physician Faculty Scholar’s Award
- 2007 Charles Barkley Award