Nicole Redmond, MD, PhD, MPH
Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 610
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-0778
Fax: (205) 934-7959
Racial and ethnic health disparities in cardiometabolic diseases, health communication and health behavior, community based primary care for criminal justice populations
- Harvard School of Public Health , Boston, MA, 2010 – MPH
- Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, 2005 – MD, PhD
- Wofford College, Spartanburg, SC, 1996 – BS
- Residency, Postdoctoral Training and Board Certification:
- J. Willis Hurst Residency in Internal Medicine, Primary Care Track, Emory University, Atlanta GA, 2005-2008
- Harvard Medical School (HMS) Fellowship in General Internal Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston MA, 2008-2011
- Chief Fellow, HMS Fellowship in General Internal Medicine, 2010-2011
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, 2008-present
- Center for Outcomes and Effectiveness Research and Education (COERE), Faculty
- Minority Health and Health Disparities Research Center (MHRC), Associate Scientist
- Center for Clinical and Translational Science (CCTS), Scholar
- Working with the librarians to develop a Lib Guide on health disparities. My LibGuide is located at http://libguides.lhl.uab.edu/healthdisparities
- 2011-present Minority Health and Health Disparities Research Center (MHRC) Young Professionals Board Member
- 2011-present Mineral District Medical Society
- 2011-present University of Alabama at Birmingham Association of African-American Faculty
- 2008-present Academy of Correctional Health Professionals
- 2008-2011 Massachusetts Medical Society
- 2007-present American College of Physicians (ACP)
- 2007-present Society of General Internal Medicine (SGIM)
- 2012 Research Methods Workshop Review Committee
- 2010-present Criminal Justice and Health Interest Group, Coordinator
- 2010-2011 Ad Hoc Communications Advisory Committee
- 2010, 2012 Health Disparities and Vulnerable Populations Abstract Review Committee
- 2007-present Disparities Task Force (DTF) Member
- 2010-present DTF Mentoring sub-committe
- 2006-present National Medical Association
In the News
- AL.com news article "Projects aimed at helping ex-inmates underway in north Alabama "
Selected Recent Publications
- Dumont DM, Gjelsvik A, Redmond N, Rich JD. Jails as Public Health Partners in Addressing Disparities among Medically-Underserved Men. International journal of men's health. Fall 2013; 12(3):213-227.
- Redmond N, Richman J, Gamboa CM, Albert MA, Sims M, Durant RW, Glasser SP, Safford MM. Perceived stress is associated with incident coronary heart disease and all-cause mortality in low- but not high-income participants in the reasons for geographic and racial differences in stroke study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2013 Dec 19;2(6):e000447. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.113.000447. PubMed PMID: 24356528.
- Redmond N, Hicks LS, Cheng DM, Allensworth-Davies D, Winter MR, Samet JH, Saitz R. Association of Recent Incarceration With Traumatic Injury, Substance Use-Related Health Consequences, and Health Care Utilization. J Addict Med. 2013 Dec 20. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24365804.
- Health Disparities and the Criminal Justice System: An Agenda for Further Research and Action.
Binswanger IA, Redmond N, Steiner JF, Hicks LS.
J Urban Health. 2011 Sep 14. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 21915745 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Health behaviors and racial disparity in blood pressure control in the national health and nutrition examination survey.
Redmond N, Baer HJ, Hicks LS.
Hypertension. 2011 Mar;57(3):383-9. Epub 2011 Feb 7.
PMID: 21300667 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Sources of health information related to preventive health behaviors in a national study.
Redmond N, Baer HJ, Clark CR, Lipsitz S, Hicks LS.
Am J Prev Med. 2010 Jun;38(6):620-627.e2.
PMID: 20494238 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free PMC Article
- 2011 Fourth Academic and Health Policy Conference on Correctional Health Conference Fellowship; University of Massachusetts Medical School, Commonwealth Medicine
- 2010 Office of Minority Faculty Careers Travel Award;
- 2011 Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- 2009 Office of Minority Faculty Careers Travel Award; Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- 2008 J. Willis Hurst Internal Medicine Residency Distinction in Community Service, Health Policy, and Volunteerism; Emory University
- 2006 National Medical Association Annual Meeting Travel Fellowship