The UAB Clinical Cancer Genetics team consists of specially trained genetic counselors and physicians who can investigate cancer risk in a family and provide clear and clinically relevant information in a supportive environment. This information may be helpful in making medical decisions about how to manage risk for cancer. The initial consultation will involve the following:
- Hour-long session focusing on your questions and concerns about cancer risk
- Opportunity to learn about cancer in a way you can understand, including
- risk to you and your close relatives
- available genetic testing options and whether or not testing is appropriate for you and your family members
- legal protections you have against employment or insurance genetic discrimination
- options for insurance coverage or reimbursement for genetic testing
- options for paticipation in research and registries
Cancer genetic testing is not recommended for everyone. Many factors need to be considered and will be discussed during your genetic consultation. The cost for genetic testing varies and may or may not be covered by insurance.
Monday, 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
Wednesday, 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
Thursday, 8:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m.
Friday, 8:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
Kaul Human Genetics Building
720 20th Street South
Birmingham, AL 35233
Make an Appointment
(205) 934-1154 or, toll-free, 1-866-822-4362