Decisions for admission are made by the Admissions Selection Committee, based on the summary evaluations and ratings provided by the Admissions Interview Committee each Thursday. The Admissions Selection Committee meets as needed, approximately once each month.
Based on the thresholds established by the Selection Committee, based on summary evaluations, ratings from the interview committee and the applicant's scores, acceptance decisions include:
- Applicants whose evaluation and ratings fall above the threshold for acceptance at the time they are interviewed will be notified of acceptance shortly after their interview.
- Other applicants will be accepted (from time-to-time) when these thresholds are lowered, resulting in acceptance of applicants who have interviewed in previous weeks.
- Applicants offered acceptance are first notified by email.
- Because official acceptance letters contain individual acceptance information and campus assignments, they are typically mailed only once each month until final decisions are made in March.
- The Letter of Acceptance includes the following:
- A description of the terms of acceptance, including any other specific requirements and a statement that acceptances are contingent on receipt and review of the applicant's criminal background check, receipt of a final transcript with degree posted, meeting any and all deadlines and requirements for acceptance with notice that should an applicant fail to meet any and all requirements, the acceptance may be withdrawn
- Information about deposits to hold a position in the class. Deposits received will be applied toward the first semester's tuition. Applicants withdrawing prior to May 15 may be eligible for a deposit refund
- Information about financial aid
- Information regarding campus assignment for the clinical years
- The Letter is accompanied by:
- A copy of the University of Alabama School of Medicine's Technical Standards
- An Offer of Acceptance Form containing a statement confirming that the applicant has read and understands the technical standards and accepts the terms of acceptance outlined in the acceptance letter
The original offer of acceptance form is to be dated, signed and returned to the admissions office to confirm the student's acceptance to the School of Medicine.
- It is possible to interview early in the interview season and remain in this status for several months or not be notified of further action until final committee decisions are made.
Final Committee DecisionsThe Selection Committee will make final decisions in late March or early April, and by April 15, all applicants will hold one of the following statuses. Decisions by the Admissions Selection Committee are final and are not subject to further review or appeal.
- Thus, an applicant interviewed in early fall may wait until April to find out the final action taken on his/her application.
- Applicants clearly evaluated as "not competitive for admissions at this time" may receive notification of "no further consideration" at any time after his/her interview.
Applicants are accepted from the alternate list usually from late April until the class matriculates in late July.
- Alternates are told the level they are assigned on the alternate list (upper, middle or lower third), but are not told their specific location on the list.
- After the class has matriculated, those remaining on the alternate list are notified that they are no longer under consideration.
Admissions Committee FeedbackNo progress report or status report will be given by the Admissions Office until final action has been taken and approved by the Assistant Dean for Admissions.
- Applicants should not contact committee members to inquire how you did in your interviews—Committee members have been instructed to refer all inquiries to the Admissions Office.