Jocelyn Hauser Receives ASM Richard and Mary Finkelstein GrantGraduate student Jocelyn Hauser (a member of Dr. Janet Yother’s lab) is one of only six students nationally to receive the prestigious 2013 Richard and Mary Finkelstein Student Travel Grant. In addition to funding Hauser’s travel to the 113th General Meeting of the American Society of Microbiology, the grant also qualifies her to present a poster and give a short presentation of her abstract, “Modulation of Capsule Production in Streptococcus pneumoniae by SpxB and Hydrogen Peroxide,” during the Division B and D Business Meeting.
The 113th General Meeting of the American Society of Microbiology will be in Denver, Colorado, on May 18-21, 2013.
Following in Big FootstepsUAB’s first K-RITH student, James Hove Mazorodze, is following in some big footsteps along the path to research on TB and HIV. He is working on his Ph.D. thesis at the KwaZulu-Natal Research Institute for Tuberculosis and HIV (K-RITH) in Durban, South Africa, under the supervision of Dr. Andries Steyn, who maintains labs at K-RITH and at UAB. He will work one year in Dr. Steyn’s lab here at UAB before returning to South Africa.
Tse Speaks Out in Diabetes ForecastMicrobiology Professor Hubert Tse, Ph.D., believes that grant programs sponsored by nongovernmental organizations such as the American Diabetes Association play an important role in funding science research. In the May 2013 issue of Diabetes Forecast, Tse points out that receiving a Junior Faculty Award from the ADA allowed him to continue diabetes research after he completed his postdoc.
- Deep Impact: A Compound for Concussions
- Two Micro Students Awarded Ireland Research Travel Scholarships
- Chaplin Elected to Faculty Senate
- Beckman Scholar to Join Saad’s Lab
- Fernandez Receives Arts and Sciences Dean’s Award
- Lefkowitz Examines the Human Microbiome
- Graduate Student Receives IADR Travel Award
- Two UAB Students Chosen for K-RITH Summer Program
- Microbiology Trainees Receive Graduate Student Research Days Awards
- Micro Trainee Receives Sinkala Travel Award