Following in Big FootstepsUAB’s first K-RITH student, James Hove Mazorodze, is following in some big footsteps along the path to research on TB and HIV. He is working on his Ph.D. thesis at the KwaZulu-Natal Research Institute for Tuberculosis and HIV (K-RITH) in Durban, South Africa, under the supervision of Dr. Andries Steyn, who maintains labs at K-RITH and at UAB. He will work one year in Dr. Steyn’s lab here at UAB before returning to South Africa.
Tse Speaks Out in Diabetes ForecastMicrobiology Professor Hubert Tse, Ph.D., believes that grant programs sponsored by nongovernmental organizations such as the American Diabetes Association play an important role in funding science research. In the May 2013 issue of Diabetes Forecast, Tse points out that receiving a Junior Faculty Award from the ADA allowed him to continue diabetes research after he completed his postdoc.
Deep Impact: A Compound for ConcussionsNFL Charities has awarded UAB a $100,000 grant to study a compound that could minimize the effects of concussions. Known as catalytic oxidoreductant, the compound may interrupt a cascade of biochemical injuries, including oxidative stress and an aggressive immune response to brain inflammation, that cause a large amount of additional cell death after a concussion’s initial damage to brain cells. Candace Floyd, Ph.D., research director in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Hubert Tse, Ph.D., an assistant professor in the Department of Microbiology who helped to develop the compound, will lead the research team. Additional studies will examine the compound’s effects on multiple concussions; evidence suggests three or more lead to significant brain damage. The results could point to a drug that could be administered immediately after a concussion, anywhere from sidelines to battlefields.
Winter 2013 UAB Medicine
- Two Micro Students Awarded Ireland Research Travel Scholarships
- Chaplin Elected to Faculty Senate
- Beckman Scholar to Join Saad’s Lab
- Fernandez Receives Arts and Sciences Dean’s Award
- Lefkowitz Examines the Human Microbiome
- Graduate Student Receives IADR Travel Award
- Two UAB Students Chosen for K-RITH Summer Program
- Microbiology Trainees Receive Graduate Student Research Days Awards
- Micro Trainee Receives Sinkala Travel Award
- Obesity Is Topic for UAB Alumnus Speaker