Chaplin Elected to Faculty Senate
In spring 2013, David Chaplin, M.D., Ph.D., was elected to a position on the UAB Faculty Senate. The Faculty Senate provides a voice for UAB’s faculty in addressing a variety of matters that affect the University. Faculty representatives from all academic units make up the Senate.
Beckman Scholar to Join Saad’s LabBliss Chang, an undergraduate majoring in Biomedical Engineering with a minor in Biology, has been awarded the 2013 Beckman Scholarship to work in Jamil Saad’s lab for one year starting this summer. He was selected as the only Beckman scholar at UAB this year.
“I am excited to have two Beckman Scholars in my lab at the same time [in addition to Timothy Fernandez who received the 2012 Beckman Scholarship]. Having two Beckman Scholars in the same lab at the same time is a very rare case in the US since it is considered an extremely competitive award,” explains Dr. Saad.
Fernandez Receives Arts and Sciences Dean’s AwardTimothy Fernandez (a member of Dr. Jamil Saad’s lab) was one of three undergraduate recipients of the College of the Arts and Sciences 2013 Dean’s Award. Students receiving this high honor represent the very best that UAB can achieve, says Dr. Catherine Daniélou, Senior Associate Dean for Undergraduate Academic Affairs.
The Dean’s Scholarship Award is a college-wide scholarship open to students currently enrolled in or admitted to a degree-granting program in the College of Arts and Sciences who have demonstrated solid academic promise and leadership qualities. Recipients must have at least an overall 3.0 grade point average.
Timothy has worked in Jamil Saad’s lab for three years and is a co-author on a JBC manuscript "Binding of calmodulin to the HIV-1 matrix protein triggers myristate exposure" and a review in Frontiers in Microbiology published last year. He will be recognized for this achievement at Honors Convocation on Tuesday, May 7th.
- Lefkowitz Examines the Human Microbiome
- Graduate Student Receives IADR Travel Award
- Two UAB Students Chosen for K-RITH Summer Program
- Microbiology Trainees Receive Graduate Student Research Days Awards
- Micro Trainee Receives Sinkala Travel Award
- Obesity Is Topic for UAB Alumnus Speaker
- UAB Program in Immunology NIH Training Grant Scores a Perfect 10
- Microbiology PostDocs Win Awards
- Infectious Diseases, Global Health and Vaccines Requests Applications
- Prevelige Discusses Research in February 2013 BioTechniques