Thousands of patients with blood cancers like leukemia and lymphoma, sickle cell and other life-threatening diseases need bone marrow transplants. Only 30 percent find matches within their families. The other 70 percent of people must look through the registry to find donors. Many of these people are unable to find matches. By joining the national bone marrow registry, you could potentially save someone’s life.
Registration is easy:
- Complete a registration form with contact information, health information and a signed agreement to join the Be The Match Registry. Bring along personal identification (such as a driver’s license or passport) and contact information for two family members or friends who would know how to reach you in the future if your contact information changes.
- Give a swab of cheek cells to be tissue-typed. They will use the results to match you to patients.