Dr. Daniel Feig
- Podoll A., Grenier M, Croix B and Feig DI. Inaccuracy in pediatric outpatient BP measurement. Pediatrics, 2007, 119(3):e538-543.
- Feig DI, Soletsky B. and Johnson, RJ. Allopurinol for the treatment of childhood essential hypertension: A randomized, double blinded, placebo controlled crossover trial. JAMA 2008, 300:924-932.
- Feig, DI, Kang DH and Johnson RJ. Is uric acid a true cardiovascular risk factor? New Engl J Med. 2008, 359(17):1811-1821.
- Swartz SM, Srivaths P, Croix, B and Feig DI. The cost effectiveness of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in the evaluation of hypertensive children. Pediatrics. 2008;122(6):1177-81.
- Feig DI. Sugar-sweetened beverages and hypertension. Future Cardiol. 2010 Nov;6(6):773-6.
- Thomas CA, Moffett BS, Wagner JL, Mott AR, Feig DI. Safety and efficacy of intravenous labetalol for hypertensive crisis in infants and small children. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2011 Jan;12(1):28-32.
David Askenazi, MD, MsPH
Dr. Askenazi is dedicated to improving outcomes in neonates at risk for AKI. Recently in a prospective 18 month study at UAB, he has shown that AKI is common and is independently associated with mortality. His team has also shown that urine biomarkers can predict AKI and mortality in premature infants. He is currently working to study the epidemiology and urine biomarkers of AKI in term newborns and is exploring the role of heme-oxygenase-1 in neonatal AKI. Other current interests include: a protocol to reduce fluid overload and length of ventilator support in children undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass, epidemiology of AKI in children after bone marrow transplant, and prevention of AKI in hospitalized children with cystic fibrosis.
- Koralkar R, Ambalavanan N, Levitan EB, McGwin G, Goldstein S, Askenazi D. Acute kidney injury reduces survival in very low birth weight infants. Pediatr Res. 2011 Apr;69(4):354-8.\
- Askenazi DJ, Koralkar R, Levitan EB, Goldstein SL, Devarajan P, Khandrika S, Mehta RL, Ambalavanan N. Baseline Values of Candidate Urine Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Biomarkers Vary by Gestational Age in Premature Infants. Pediatr Res. 2011 Jun 3.
- Askenazi D. Evaluation and management of critically ill children with acute kidney injury. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2011 Apr;23(2):201-7.
- Askenazi DJ, Ambalavanan N, Hamilton K, Cutter G, Laney D, Kaslow R, Georgeson K, Barnhart DC, Dimmitt RA. Acute kidney injury and renal replacement therapy independently predict mortality in neonatal and pediatric noncardiac patients on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2011 Jan;12(1):e1-6.
- Askenazi DJ, Griffin R, McGwin G, Carlo W, Ambalavanan N. Acute kidney injury is independently associated with mortality in very low birthweight infants: a matched case-control analysis. Pediatr Nephrol. 2009 May;24(5):991-7.
- Askenazi DJ, Ambalavanan N, Goldstein SL. Acute kidney injury in critically ill newborns: what do we know? What do we need to learn? Pediatr Nephrol. 2009 Feb;24(2):265-74.
- Askenazi DJ, Feig DI, Graham NM, Hui-Stickle S, Goldstein SL. 3-5 year longitudinal follow-up of pediatric patients after acute renal failure. Kidney Int. 2006;69(1):184-9.
Sahar Fathallah-Shaykh, MD
- Fathallah-Shaykh S, Brooks E, Langman C, Kensey K, Hogenauer W. Sodium Modeling attenuates rises in whole blood viscosity during chronic hemodialysis in children. Ped Nephrol 21(8):1179-84, 2006.
- Brooks E, Fathallah-Shaykh S, Langman C, Wolf K, Price H. Bioelectric Impedance Predicts Total Body Water, Blood Pressure, and Heart Rate, During Hemodialysis (HD) in Children and Adolescents. J Ren Nutr 18(3):304-11, 2008.
- Haas M, Rahman MH, Cohn RA, Fathallah-Shaykh S, Ansari A, Bartosh SM. IgA Nephropathy in children and adults: comparison of histologic features and clinical outcomes. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008 Aug; 23(8):2537-45.