Faculty in the Body Imaging section (which is sometimes called abdominal imaging because of our unique focus on the gastrointestinal tract), perform and interpret a wide variety of imaging tests and procedures, including:
- Radiographs (X-rays) of the abdomen and pelvis
- Fluoroscopic (contrast) exams of the gastrointestinal and genitourinary tracts
- Computed Tomographic (CT) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scans of the chest, abdomen and pelvis
- Sonograms (ultrasounds) of the neck, chest, abdomen, pelvis, and extremities
- Imaging-guided biopsies, aspirations, and ablation procedures
The section currently employs a total of 15 full-time and part-time radiologists, including many who are widely known experts in their respective areas of clinical interest. Body Imaging faculty hold leadership positions in numerous professional societies, serve on the editorial boards of multiple scholarly publications, and are frequent speakers at national and international scientific and educational meetings. Research interests and accomplishments run the gamut from basic science to clinical investigations. In the 2009-2010 academic year, faculty produced a total of 22 scholarly papers, 24 books and book chapters, and 30 presentations at regional meetings and beyond.
Ongoing funded research projects include:
- Robbin ML. "Hemodialysis Fistula Maturation Consortium (HFMC)." Ultrasound core director. Subcontract to Data Coordinating Center, Cleveland Clinic, 09/30/2009 - 09/29/2011, $528,558.
- Robbin ML, Lockhart ME, Berland LL, Tessler FN, Weber TM, McGuire BM, Duba DA, Alexander LF, McArthur TA, Haddad HL. BRI-128: "Characterization of Focal Liver Lesions With SonoVue-Enhanced Ultrasound Imaging: A Phase III Intrapatient Comparative Study Versus Unenhanced Ultrasound Imaging Using Histology or Combined Imaging/Clinical Data as Truth Standard." Sponsored by Bracco Diagnostics. Total Study Amount: $119,322. 1/2010 - 12/2010.
Members of the section may be contacted through the office of the Section Chief, Mark E. Lockhart, M.D., M.P.H., at (205) 934-7133.