The University of Alabama at Birmingham and the American Red Cross are holding a special summer blood drive themed Peace, Love, Donate. The drive runs from July 11-20 at UAB Hospital and UAB Highlands.
The drive offers free T-shirts for donors, drawings for gift cards and other prizes. All blood types are needed.
UAB North Pavilion, 18th Street and Sixth Avenue South
- Monday, July 11, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 12, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 13, 7 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Thursday, July 14, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Friday, July 15, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Saturday, July 16, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
UAB Highlands, 1201 11th Avenue South
- Tuesday, July 19, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 20, 12-5 p.m.
Donors should bring a photo ID. Free parking is available in the North Pavilion parking deck and the UAB Highlands parking lot. Reserve your appointment at www.redcross.org; sponsor codes are UABNP or UAB Highlands.
UAB is one of the largest users nationally of blood supplied by the Red Cross. Donors can give blood up to six times a year, every eight weeks. The process takes about 45 minutes; the actual blood collection usually takes less than 20 minutes.
Blood products are used during surgery, transplantation, trauma care, difficult pregnancies and cancer treatment. It is not unheard-of for a single patient to require as many as 100 units.