Throughout February, UAB Heart and Vascular Services will raise awareness about heart disease and ways to prevent it as part of American Heart Month with many events, including three communitywide initiatives.
Cardiovascular disease — as an underlying cause of death — accounts for nearly 801,000 American deaths. That is nearly one of every three deaths in the United States, and nearly 2,200 Americans die of cardiovascular disease each day. However, the disease can often be prevented when people make healthy choices and manage their health conditions.
Wear Red Day Photoshoot
On Friday, Feb. 2, everyone is encouraged to raise awareness of heart disease in women by wearing red on National Wear Red Day, and all are invited to participate in a photoshoot at four different locations:
- The Kirklin Clinic of UAB Hospital, Second floor staircase, 9 a.m.
- UAB Hospital North Pavilion, First floor lobby, 10 a.m.
- Avondale 720 Building, First floor lobby, 11:30 a.m.
- UAB Green (by the dragon), 12:45 p.m.
- UAB Hospital-Highlands, First floor lobby, 2 p.m.
Love Your Heart
Visit the UAB Heart and Vascular Services information table and show your heart a little love. Heart-health information and giveaways will be available.
- Wednesday, Feb. 7: UAB Hospital North Pavilion, Second floor from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 14: The Kirklin Clinic of UAB Hospital, Second floor from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Simple Cooking With Heart
Sample delicious heart-healthy recipes from the American Heart Association. Take home a new UAB Heart and Vascular Services recipe booklet.
- Wednesday, Feb. 21: UAB Hospital North Pavilion, Second floor atrium from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
For more information on heart disease, and to find out where you can see a physician at The Kirklin Clinic of UAB Hospital or at the UAB Heart and Vascular Clinic at Acton Road, visit the UAB Heart and Vascular Clinic website or call 205-934-4011.