UAB School of Nursing - 70 Years of History



The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) School of Nursing was chartered as the University of Alabama School of Nursing (UASON) in 1950. The school opened its doors that year, after the Alabama Legislature in 1949 authorized and provided funds for a collegiate baccalaureate-level school of nursing in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, at the University of Alabama (UA). In 1967, the school moved from the Tuscaloosa campus to UA's rapidly growing Birmingham satellite campus, where it became a component of the academic complex that in 1969 became an autonomous university – now known as the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).

This school's history has Birmingham-based nursing education roots dating to 1903, embedded in diploma nursing education provided by hospitals that became the foundation for UAB's internationally known medical center. Today the UAB School of Nursing—offering baccalaureate, master's, and doctoral nursing education—continues to pioneer in educating nurse leaders.

1950's

1950 - Included in history highlights 1950-University of Alabama (UA) School of Nursing on the Tuscaloosa campus is founded as a state-supported collegiate baccalaureate-level nursing school.

1950 - On June 5, Florence A. Hixson sends a telegram to University of Alabama President John Gallalee, accepting the position as the first dean of the School of Nursing. Hixson has more than 20 years of experience in nursing administration and education and would receive her doctorate from Columbia University in 1952.

1950 - In September the school begins with three programs: a traditional baccalaureate, an RNto-BSN for registered nurses, and a centralized program of teaching social and biological sciences to students in seven Alabama hospital-based programs.

1950 - From the school’s beginning, plans take shape that will mean the school’s students receive much of their clinical education in Birmingham at UA’s growing Medical Center.

1951 - In January, the school moves into the first School of Nursing Building, a renovated residence hall adjacent to UA’s Student Health Services in Tuscaloosa.

1952 - Lyndon McCarroll joins Dean Hixson, becoming the school’s first faculty member in addition to the dean.

1952 - The School of Nursing is temporarily accredited for five years by the National Nursing Accrediting Service.

1952 - The UA Board of Trustees presents an honorary doctorate to Linna Denny for her efforts in convincing the Alabama Legislature to establish a baccalaureate nursing program. Denny was the first Red Cross nurse in Alabama (1915) and served as president of the Alabama State Nurses Association (ASNA) in the 1940s. She was the first secretary of the Board of Nurses Examiners and Registration (now Alabama’s Board of Nursing).

1952 - Dean Hixson and students design the female student dress uniform with a detachable white collar and a patch featuring the University of Alabama seal. The uniforms are made of cotton, which requires starching and ironing. Dean Hixson describes the color of the uniforms as “robin-egg blue.” White nurse’s shoes and hose are worn by females. C.

1954 males wear a white top, pants, and white socks and shoes. Females wear wool capes and caps. The cap is made of muslin, requires stiff starching and ironing, is folded and pinned together with straight pins, and is secured to the head with bobby pins.

1952 - The first school uniform pin depicts the seal of the University of Alabama circumscribed with two circles—one white and the other red.

1953 - The Alabama State Nurses Association (ASNA) donates a picture of Linna Denny to hang in the school’s headquarters building on the UA campus in Tuscaloosa. In later years, after the school would move to the UAB campus in Birmingham, the portrait would be stolen from the library at UAB. A replacement copy is now housed on the first floor of the current School of Nursing building at UAB.

1953 - Some junior-year courses are taught at the UA Extension Center in Birmingham. Later in the decade, master’s-degree courses also would be taught there.

1954 - Nina Sue Beck, Beverly Causey and Nora Ruth Freeman become the first graduates of the school's basic baccalaureate program.

1954 - The school moves into Little Hall, its second home on UA’s Tuscaloosa campus.

1955 - The master's program begins.

1956 - Laurene Gilmore, Elizabeth Cleino and Dorothy Hart become the first three master's graduates. One of six schools selected by the Southern Regional Education Board to start master’s nursing programs, Alabama’s school offers majors in nursing education administration and teaching maternal-child health nursing. Programs in psychiatric and tuberculosis nursing also are added for hospital students.

1957 - The school receives full national accreditation from the National League for Nursing.

1958 - Nu Chapter of The Honor Society for Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International, is installed at the school. It is the nation’s twelfth chapter. Margaret Millsap is the chapter’s first president.

1958 - James Bryan becomes the school’s first male student to graduate from the basic baccalaureate program.

1959 - The first school cap is worn until c. 1959. The second cap, which requires starching and ironing and has the red letters “UA” embroidered on the side, is worn until 1975. A later version of the second cap does not require starch, and snaps are used to secure the cap.

1960's

1960 - Faculty member Marie L. O’Koren, later to become the school’s second dean, receives the first Bixler scholarship for study toward a doctoral degree. She would receive an EdD.

1964 - The basic baccalaureate program and the baccalaureate program for registered nurses are combined into one program.

1964 - Dean Hixson receives external funding to help integrate the teaching of mental-health concepts into the entire curriculum.

1965 - Sarah Louise Fisher is admitted to the school’s basic baccalaureate program. In 1969 she will become the school’s first African-American graduate.

1966 - UA’s Extension Center at Birmingham is converted into a four-year College of General Studies. One of its functions is to provide the academic background for the professional schools within the Medical Center.

1967 - The school moves from the Tuscaloosa campus to the Birmingham campus, acting on a recommendation from the feasibility study that led to the establishment of the school. The school operates out of several buildings in Birmingham. The Birmingham-based diploma school, the University Hospital School of Nursing, is phased out, closing in 1969.

1967 - In Birmingham, the collegiate nursing school is housed in several temporary quarters until its new building is constructed.

1967 - A permanent-press version of the first school’s blue female uniform is worn, with a cloth belt and without the detachable collar. The male tops change from white to blue, with a fulllength zipper. The color change prevents confusing interns with male nursing students. A navy blue sweater is an optional addition. The uniform is made of 65% polyester and 35% cotton. White mid-length lab coats are worn.

1968 - In July, ground is broken for the new School of Nursing Building on the UAB campus.

1968 - Registered nurse students are allowed to wear the baccalaureate student uniform and cap, a development evolving from the 1964 combining of the registered nurse program with the basic baccalaureate program. Upon graduation, they are entitled to wear the nursing school pin and cap. In earlier years, the registered nurse students wore white uniforms, or, when they were in public health nursing, they wore navy blue uniforms.

1969 - Mary Edna Williams is appointed as the school’s first director of continuing education, and the school begins offering workshops, seminars, and institutes for nurses around the state. Phyllis Loucks will succeed Williams in the early 1970s.

1969 - The Birmingham-based Medical Center and the College of General Studies, which to this point have functioned as part of the University of Alabama, together become an autonomous university, known initially as the University of Alabama in Birmingham and later as the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). The combination of the School of Nursing’s 1967 move to Birmingham and UAB’s becoming an independent university set the stage for the school to increasingly be known as the UAB School of Nursing.

1969 - Delois Skipwith Guy joins the school as its first African-American faculty member.

1970's

1970 - The school’s first yearbook, The Legend, is published. Subsequent yearbooks published between 1971 and 1974 will be known as The Pectoris.

1970 - In June, Dr. Florence A. Hixson retires as dean. Dr. Marie L. O’Koren, assistant dean and a master’s graduate of the school, is chosen as the school’s second dean.

1970 - This begins a decade that will launch an era of nursing specialization at the school. Master’s-level curricula additions of majors and specialty areas of concentration bring specialty studies. Those include pediatric nursing, adult health nursing, maternal/infant nursing, community health nursing, rehabilitation nursing, cardiovascular nursing, psychiatric nursing, developmental disabilities nursing, and nursing service administration

1971 - The school moves into its new building, which includes space for a Learning Resource Center (LRC) offering state-of-the-art instructional support for nursing students. Fred Horns establishes the LRC, and Dr. Kathleen Mikan becomes its first nurse director. A graduate tower will be added to the new building in the late 1970s. The building is still in use today.

1972 - Nurse practitioner education takes root at the school, beginning with education for the pediatric nurse practitioner that leads to a certificate rather than a degree. These studies are administered through the school’s Department of Continuing Education. Later nurse practitioner programs will be at the master’s level.

1973 - Dr. Marie O’Koren recruits Dr. Kathryn “Kitty” Barchard to head the school’s first research program, the Center for Research and Development. Later, this evolves as the Center for Nursing Research (CNR).

1973 - The Joint Council on Nursing is created to include administrative staffs from the school and UAB’s University Hospitals, with the purpose of improving and enhancing communication between nursing service and nursing education.

1974 - The school receives a five-year grant from the Kellogg Foundation to establish a major in nursing service administration. UAB’s schools of Business and Allied Health also are involved in the project, forming the first interdisciplinary major on campus.

1974 - Dr. Carl H. Miller becomes the first male nurse to join the school’s faculty.

1975 - A major revision of the faculty bylaws and a reorganization of the faculty are adopted. The reorganization moves from a system with seven departmental chairs to one with four undergraduate level chairs and one graduate chair. Also, an administrative council is formed to help improve internal communications at the school.

1975 - The female student uniform changes from blue to white with a gold-trimmed pocketed apron worn over the pantsuit or dress. Gold “UAB” letters adorn the male tops, female aprons, and caps. Caps become optional c. 1979 but are worn by some students until the late 1980s. The cap does not require starch and is folded and secured by snaps. Nurse’s capes are no longer worn.

1975 - The Doctor of Science in Nursing (DSN) program is approved in August. Dr. Jean A. Kelley, assistant dean for graduate studies, leads preparation of the doctoral proposal. This is the 13th nursing doctoral program in the country and the first in the Southeast. As a professional doctorate, it is geared toward increasing the number of doctorally prepared nursing faculty, administrators and consultants. Coursework begins in January 1976.

1976 - The Outreach Project for Master’s Nursing education begins. It is designed to help prepare faculty to teach in associate-degree and baccalaureate nursing programs. The entire master’s curriculum is offered at sites in Decatur, Gadsden, Montgomery and Mobile. Faculty travel to the sites in a large motor home and conduct weekly classes, seminars and individual student conferences. Local nurse preceptors supervise the advanced clinical practicums. Students could complete the course of study in two years without having to travel to Birmingham. (More than 400 students are admitted to the program with more than 200 graduating. Many of the non-graduates go on to enroll in one of the three new master’s in nursing programs in the state, which grew out of the Outreach program.)

1976 - A visiting lectureship program for DSN students is established and draws some of the nation’s outstanding nursing theorists, including Marjorie Dunlap, Martha Rogers, Gwen MacDonald, Jacqueline Fawcett, Loretta Ford and Ada Jacox. It will be named the Jean Kelley Lectureship in 1991.

1979 - The first class of DSN students graduates. It includes Dr. Kathleen Andreoli, who goes on to become one of the Distinguished Alumni of the School of Nursing.

1979 - The Center for Nursing Research is established. It is the first such center in the state and one of the first in the nation.

1980's

1980 - Gary Warner, the first director of public relations and alumni information for the school (1975-1984), is instrumental in the creation of the Alumni Association.

1980 - The University of Alabama School of Nursing Alumni Association is founded in February. It will become a major force in development and faculty/student recognition.

1980 - A release time quarter (RTQ) plan is developed, allowing faculty to be released from heavy teaching loads to engage in practice, research and other scholarly activities.

1985 - Hixson Hall, a nursing residence hall completed in 1962 on the UAB campus, is named in honor of Dr. Florence A. Hixson, the school’s first dean.

1986 - A summers-only doctoral program is created, in addition to the regular schedule, to accommodate nursing faculty around the Southeast who wish to enroll.

1987 - Dr. Marie L. O’Koren retires as the school’s second dean. Dr. Rachel Z. Booth is named as her successor. Dr. Booth had been at Duke University, where she was assistant vice president for health affairs, and dean and professor in the School of Nursing.

1988 - The school adopts its first five-year strategic plan.

1988 - The school receives a Flexible Education for Registered Nurses Grant, which takes baccalaureate education to nurses in rural areas. The $398,538 grant focuses on Walker and St. Clair counties.

1988 - Dr. Marie L. O’Koren completes a history book about the school entitled The University of Alabama School of Nursing 1950-1970, which was begun by Dr. Florence A. Hixson. The work, almost finished by Dr. Hixson, is finalized by Dr. O’Koren at Dr. Hixson’s request.

1989 - The school’s founder and first dean, Dr. Florence A. Hixson, dies in Pennsylvania on January 1 at the age of 89. She was dean from 1950 until her retirement 1970.

1989 - A health policy major is added to the DSN program. The other majors include administration, education, consultation, and nurse practitioner.

1989 - Dr. Jean A. Kelley retires as the school’s associate dean for graduate studies. She was instrumental in starting the DSN program and the Master’s Outreach Program. She also helped expand the master’s program to include nurse practitioners and clinical nurse specialists.

1989 - Dr. Marguerite R. Kinney becomes the first nursing faculty member to serve on the Institutional Review Board (IRB) at UAB. The IRB is the body that reviews proposals involving research with human subjects.

1990's

1991 - Graduates of the four diploma nursing schools that are part of UAB’s history are invited to become members of the Alumni Association serving UAB’s collegiate nursing school.

1991 - The school’s first Vision Plan is adopted and is to extend for a 10-year period. The overall goal is to move the school into the top 10 schools in the country. The plan is revised in 1998 to extend to 2005

1992 - The Board of Visitors (BOV), a community-support-group vision of Dean Rachel Z. Booth, is established with the help of community leader Robert E. Luckie Jr. The BOV’s mission is to support and promote the school’s programs in public relations, development and fundraising. The group’s inaugural meeting is held with the 14 initial founding members: Lella Bromberg, LaVona Rushton, Louise Allen, Dr. J. Max Austin, Dr. John Carter, Zoë Cassimus, Minnie Gaston, Joy Harbert, Margaret Kidd, Rita Kimerling, Robert E. Luckie Jr., George Perdue Jr., Linn Wheelock and Robert Weatherly. Five additional founding members join later that year: Dr. Elwynn “Chick” Hale, Everett Holle, Anita Smith Lunsford, Anne Michaels and Jean Tomlinson.

1992 - Dr. Marguerite R. Kinney is appointed to the National Advisory Council for Nursing, National Institutes of Health, becoming the school’s first faculty member to serve in that role. Drs. Joyce Giger and Barbara A. Smith later would serve on the council.

1992 - The Marie L. O’Koren Endowed Chair in Nursing, the school’s first endowed chair, is established. Dr. Barbara A. Smith, from Ohio State University, is recruited to fill the chair.

1992 - A time capsule is placed in the basement of the school. A list of its contents is placed in a file in the dean’s office, with instructions for the time capsule to be opened in 2042.

1992 - The Vignette publication is started to replace the annual alumni newsletter that had been published by the dean’s office. A contest is held to name the new publication, with Dr. Sarah Johnston submitting the winning name. In later years, this publication would become UAB Nursing.

1993 - The school is designated to develop a World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Center for Nursing, the seventh such center in the United States and the twenty-seventh in the world.

1994 - The west addition to the School of Nursing Building is completed. It includes a major renovation to the Learning Resource Center and the Center for Nursing Research.

1994 - A red and white uniform patch replaces the gold UAB letters and is added to the student uniform, to bring the school in line with other health sciences. Female aprons are discontinued. The female top and dress both feature puffy sleeves. Warm-up jackets replace white sweaters worn with the uniform, and a photo identification tag is required.

1996 - “FirsTuesday,” a faculty/staff lunch retirement group, is formed in response to a large number of faculty retiring from the school. The purpose of the group is to foster continued communication and involvement with the school.

1997 - The School of Nursing and School of Health Professions at UAB jointly purchase the former Regional Technical Institute (RTI) building, located on the UAB campus adjacent to both schools. It is renovated for an expansion of the Learning Resource Center.

1997 - The school’s pin is redesigned to reflect a closer association with UAB. It features a green circle, with the addition of “UAB” at the bottom of the inner circle. Students can select from a range of pin options offered by the Balfour Company, with which the school has done business since c.

1970 . Over the years, options would include sterling silver, brass, white gold or yellow gold. The Alumni Association pays for engraving the date and student’s initials on the back of each graduate’s school pin

199 8 -The Rachel Z. Booth Endowed Chair in Nursing is established.

1999 - A new Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing program begins at the school and remains the only PhD in nursing program in the state. A phase-out, to be completed in 2005, is launched for the school’s Doctor of Science in Nursing (DSN) program.

1999 - The school’s Honors in Nursing program begins under the leadership of Dr. Ellen Buckner.

1999 - The University of Alabama School of Nursing Alumni Association name changes to The Nursing Alumni Chapter of the UAB National Alumni Society.

2000's

2000 - To celebrate the school’s 50th anniversary, Alumni Association archivist Pat Cleveland and UAB curator Stefanie Rookis create an historical exhibit at the Alabama Museum of the Health Sciences at UAB’s Lister Hill Library. A new school history book is introduced: The First Fifty Years: From Tuscaloosa to Birmingham. It is written by Anita Smith, former medical editor of The Birmingham News. In the years that follow, she will continue to function as the school’s historian.

2001 - The red and white student uniform patch changes to UAB colors of green, gold and white, to align with UAB traditions. The uniform’s new female top features a tie in the back.

2002 - The Jo Ann Barnett Award for Compassionate Nursing Care is established by the Nursing Chapter of the UAB Alumni Society to honor the memory of alumna Jo Ann Barnett.

2002 - Dr. Carol Z. Garrison, a 1976 MSN graduate of the school, becomes the first nurse to be president of UAB.

2003 - The Nursing Chapter of the UAB National Alumni Society establishes the Lamp of Learning Ceremony. The event welcomes students entering the school with a brief history of nursing, the pinning of a lamp lapel pin and a candlelight ceremony.

2005 - The Doctor of Science in Nursing (DSN) degree program has its last graduate, thus completing the program’s phase-out. Planning begins for the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program.

2005 - Dean Rachel Z. Booth hosts the inaugural Cap & Cape event honoring pioneer nurse graduates of diploma schools of nursing that operated from 1903 through 1969 on the campus that came to be the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). These are: Hillman, Jefferson, Jefferson-Hillman, and University Hospital schools of nursing. Cap & Cape activities are ongoing.

2005 - The Nursing Chapter of the UAB National Alumni Society celebrates its 25th anniversary.

2005 - The Donna Brown Banton Endowed Professorship is established.

2005 - Dr. Rachel Z. Booth retires as dean. In November, Dr. Doreen C. Harper succeeds her to become the school’s fourth dean. Dr. Harper had previously been serving as dean of the Graduate School of Nursing at the University of Massachusetts Worchester.

2006 - Extensive school remodeling begins and will continue through 2009 to expand faculty offices, clinical simulation labs, and other facilities.

2006 - The Junior Board of Visitors (JBOV) is established with the help of the senior Board of Visitors as a vehicle for a young generation of community leaders to make a contribution to nursing and nursing education.

2006 - Dean Doreen C. Harper's tenure ushers in a new era of collaboration and partnerships.

2006 - The school launches a BSN-to-PhD curriculum as a seamless path that an entering baccalaureate student can travel in pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing degree.

2007 - The school is re-designated as the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) Collaborating Center for International Nursing for a four-year term of April 2007-2011.

2007 - Dean Doreen C. Harper appoints Pat Cleveland, retired faculty, as the school’s archivist. Prior to this time, beginning in 1985, Pat had volunteered her service in the role as archivist for the Alumni Association, with overlapping duties to the School of Nursing and the Alumni Association.

2007 - Dr. Linda Moneyham becomes the first professor to hold the Rachel Z. Booth Endowed Chair in Nursing, established in 1998.

2007 - The school ranks first among U.S. schools of nursing for scholarly productivity among its faculty, in a ranking by Academic Analytics, which annually rates faculty scholarly output in more than 7,000 U.S. doctoral programs.

2008 - The Joint Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program begins in collaboration with the UAB School of Health Professions, the University of Alabama in Huntsville College of Nursing, and the University of Alabama Capstone College of Nursing in Tuscaloosa, with UAB’s School of Nursing designated as the coordinating school.

2008 - Nursing student uniforms change to white scrubs with a “V” neck top. Pants feature cargo pockets, and uniform dresses are available. Students also wear the Sigma Theta Tau pin, Lamp of Learning pin, and/or medic-alert jewelry.

2008 - Dr. Patricia A. Patrician, a retired U.S. Army colonel, becomes the first professor to hold the Donna Brown Banton Endowed Professorship, established in 2005.

2008 - In partnership with the UAB Health System, the school initiates the Accelerated Master’s in Nursing Pathway for individuals who have earned a previous degree in a field other than nursing.

2008 - The school’s Clinical Nurse Leader program begins.

2008 - At its 50th anniversary celebration, the Nu Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau honors the legacy of the chapter’s founding president, the late Dr. Margaret Millsap.

2008 - Hixson Hall, the UAB nursing residence hall completed in 1962, is demolished.

2008 - The school is approved by the Peace Corps as a Paul D. Coverdell Program, known as Peace Corps Fellows. This is a program through which approved academic institutions become sites where returned Peace Corps volunteers pursue graduate studies in a variety of subject areas.

2009 - The school is designated as a Veterans Affairs (VA) Nursing Academy by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Academic Affiliations.

2009 - The first class of Joint DNP students at UAB graduate in December, and include Marie Bolivar-Cano, Summer Langston, Lisa Muirhead and Cynthia Turner.

2010's

2010 - As the decade ends, the school has more than 11,000 graduates who are serving or have served throughout the United States and the world.

2010 - The school celebrates its 60th anniversary. The celebration includes the recognition of 60 of the school’s graduates as Visionary Leaders, honoring them for their significant impact on nursing and health care in the state, nation and world.

2010 - The school receives the 10-year maximum accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for its baccalaureate and master’s programs, and also fiveyear maximum accreditation for its Joint Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program. This extends accreditation for the baccalaureate and master's programs through June 2020 and, for the Joint DNP program, through October 2015.

2010 - The Nursing Chapter of the UAB National Alumni Society celebrates its 30th anniversary.

2011 - The school is re-designated as a Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) Collaborating Center for International Nursing for a four-year term of April 2011-2015.

2011 - U.S. News & World Report ranks the UAB School of Nursing No. 21, in the top 5 percent of nursing schools in the country. The school’s adult nurse practitioner program and its nursing service administration program are both ranked No. 10 and its family nurse practitioner program is ranked No. 12.

2011 - Dr. Elizabeth Stullenbarger retires as associate dean for academic affairs and is appointed by the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees as Distinguished Professor Emerita in the UAB School of Nursing. She is a graduate of the school and a former president of the Alabama Board of Nursing.

2011 - In-progress or just-completed renovations to the Learning Resource Center, the Plaza, and the School of Nursing Building facilitate the school’s growing interprofessional approach to learning, in which nursing students learn alongside students from other health-related professions.

2011 - In April, Dean Doreen C. Harper is appointed by the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees as the Fay B. Ireland Endowed Chair for the Dean of the School of Nursing. This new endowed chair for the school’s deanship is created by a $1.5 million pledge from Fay B. Ireland, longtime member of the UAB School of Nursing’s BOV, plus additional funds from UAB.

2012 - In the fall, the school launches the RN-to-MSN curriculum as a seamless path that an entering registered nurse can travel in pursuing a master’s degree in nursing.

2012 - The school’s Office of Student Affairs, reconfigured to provide a more functional and more student-oriented area, is relocated to the first floor of the school’s building. Contributing to the project are donated funds from the estate of the late Robert E. “Bob” Luckie Jr., who was a key community organizer of the school’s Board of Visitors.

2012 - The UAB School of Nursing is ranked No. 5 in the nation in the Top 50 Most Social Media Friendly Nursing Schools of 2012 by nursejournal.org.

2012 - As the school's programs of teaching, research, and service expand, and the student body nears 2,000, plans take shape for the future construction project to accommodate the growth–an expansion that will connect with the school's present building.

2012 - Effective August 1, UAB’s Nurse Anesthesia program moves from the School of Health Professions to the School of Nursing– a move recommended and approved by faculty from both schools.

2012 - On October 14, the Barrett Brock MacKay Florence Nightingale Exhibit is dedicated on first floor of the school. Named for Board of Visitors member and UAB master’s nursing graduate Barrett Brock MacKay, the exhibit showcases content from 50 letters written in the 1800s by the founder of modern nursing Florence Nightingale. Those treasured letters, plus a related newspaper clipping and photograph, are housed in the Lawrence Reynolds Historical Library at UAB’s Lister Hill Library and are also available in digitized form on the library’s website.

2012 - The school’s Board of Visitors celebrates its 20th anniversary, which includes two decades of fundraising for the school that has generated more than $8 million through BOV members, their supporters and BOV fundraisers.

2012 - Dr. Marie L. O’Koren, who served as the second dean for UAB’s nursing school, dies on December 11 at age 86. Dr. O’Koren was dean from 1970 until her retirement in 1987. On March 12, the school hosts a celebration of her life. The Nursing Chapter of the UAB National Alumni Society establishes an award in her memory.

2012 - Student uniform scrubs change from white to green. A skirt is available for females. The alternative uniform, in place since 2010, consists of a green polo shirt and khaki pants. Navy pants are worn with a polo shirt for non-hospital-based experiences. Navy or brown leather shoes are worn with the polo shirts. In lieu of the uniform patches and consistent with the trend of university-wide branding, the name of the student and the student’s academic program and the School of Nursing logo are embroidered on the uniform and lab coats. White leather or vinyl shoes are worn with the green scrubs. Some students choose to wear the previous white uniform until August 2013. Students purchase uniforms at Le Joy Uniform, Inc. as they have since c. 1967.

2012 - Dr. Carol Z. Garrison, first nurse to be president of UAB, resigns after a 10-year tenure.

2013 - During its meeting on February 8, the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees names Dr. Marie A. Bakitas as the next holder of the Marie L. O’Koren Endowed Chair at the UAB School of Nursing.

2013 - The school’s seal is permanently installed in the floor of the lobby of the School of Nursing building.

2013 - UAB President Emerita Dr. Carol Z. Garrison receives the school’s Distinguished Alumni Award.

2013 - The school’s enrollment continues to increase. This year, enrollment reaches a record high of more than 2,100 students.

2013 - Under the leadership of new UAB President Dr. Ray L. Watts, the UAB School of Nursing joins UAB Medicine and other entities throughout UAB in adopting and utilizing a unified campus-wide branding tagline for its multi-media and academic messaging—“knowledge that will change your world.”