The UAB School of Optometry Alumni Association was organized for the following purposes:
- To promote the interest of the profession of Optometry
- To promote the interest of the UAB School of Optometry
- To maintain mutually beneficial relations between the School of Optometry and its alumni
- To aid the School of Optometry in its quest to implement and fulfill its purposes and objectives
- To foster a collegial spirit among the alumni of the School of Optometry
- To aid in the procurement of qualified students for the School of Optometry
- To establish special funds for the benefit of the School of Optometry
Membership in the UABSO Alumni Association is open to any optometrist who is a graduate of the UAB School of Optometry.
Life membership may be granted to any alumna/alumnus who has paid a one-time sum, as determined by the Alumni Association. Currently, Life Membership is $2000.
Honorary membership may be conferred upon an individual who has proven to be an outstanding benefactor to the School of Optometry and/or to the Alumni Association. Recipients shall be selected by the Executive Council of the Alumni Association.
Friends may also join the UABSO Alumni Association. Regular members and life members have the right to vote and hold office in the Association. Alumni Association dues are currently $60. Dues notices are sent every January, with two reminder notices sent.
The UABSO Alumni Association is governed by an Alumni Board, elected by the membership each year at the annual meeting, normally held in the fall of the year.
The UABSO Alumni Association sponsors a variety of activities and events for students and alumni. For more information on any of these events, contact the Alumni Affairs office.
- Scholarships: The UABSO Alumni Association is committed to increasing the scholarship support for the student body. Currently, there are several fully funded scholarships: the Dr. Elbert A. “Bert” Coshatt Alumni Endowed Optometry Scholarship, The Edgar M. Warr, O.D. Alumni Endowed Scholarship, the Dr. E.C. Overton Alumni Endowed Optometry scholarship, the Dr. Jess Boyd Eskridge Alumni Endowed Optometry scholarchsip, the Charles M. "Scotty" McCallum Alumni Endowed scholarship, and we are working on the Dr. Jimmy Bartlett Alumni Endowed optometry scholarship. For additional information on UABSO scholarships, click here.
- The Student/Alumni Luncheon Program: The student alumni luncheon program was developed by and is supported entirely by the UAB Alumni Association. Each quarter, we invite optometrists who have chosen different careers paths and practice modes – commercial, private practice, and research, etc. – to participate in an informal question and answer session with the third and fourth year students. The students have the opportunity to ask questions about academics, future job duties, financial hurdles, or any concerns they might have about the challenges ahead. The insight provided by our alumni is invaluable to new doctors as they begin their careers. If you would like to volunteer your time to this program, please contact Virginia Rogers in the alumni affairs office.
- The Student/Practitioner Mentoring Program: The Alumni Association, spurred by Drs. Marty Habel (’78) and John Classé (’78), have instituted a Mentoring Program which will match students in optometry school with a volunteer practicing optometrist who will serve as a mentor during the student’s career. The long-term goal for the program is to foster professional relationships that will endure throughout the career of the mentor and the protégé. The familiarity that will be obtained will also open the way for more successful associateships, the sale of practices and job opportunities in general.
- Alumni Association board meetings and receptions at various regional and national meetings:
- AOA Meeting, June 27 - 30, 2012, Chicago; Alumni Reception, Friday, June 29, 2012, time and place TBD
- Gulf Coast Summer Conference, July 27 & 28, 2012, Grand Hotel; $100 door prize awarded to one dues-paying alumna/alumnus during the meeting.
- Summer Alumni Board Meeting, Friday, July 27, 2012, 12:30 p.m., Grand Hotel
- American Academy of Optometry Meeting, October 24 - 27, 2012; Phoenix, AZ
- Alabama Optometric Association Convention, November 2-4, 2012, Wynfrey Hotel, Birmingham, AL
- Fall Alumni Board Meeting, Friday, November 2, 2012; Time TBD Wynfrey Hotel, Birmingham, AL
- Annual Alumni Breakfast, Friday, November 4, 2012, Wynfrey Hotel, Birmingham, AL; $100 door prize awarded to one dues-paying alumna/alumnus during the meeting.
- SECO, February 27 – March 3, 2012, Atlanta, GA
- Winter Alumni Board Meeting, Friday, March 1, 2012, Atlanta, GA
- SECO Alumni Reception, Friday, March 1, 2012, Atlanta, GA; $100 door prize awarded to one dues-paying alumna/alumnus during the meeting.
- Participation in UAB Homecoming festivities: UAB Homecoming 2012 will be Saturday, October 6. The Blazers will take on S.E. Louisiana.
- Receptions for residents and new graduates.
- Donations to student organizations,such as AOSA, SVOSH and NOSA, and for special school and student needs.