The Graduate School
Mission: The mission of the UAB Graduate School is to offer the highest-quality, accredited graduate education in diverse and interdisciplinary areas of study, while upholding the highest ethical and educational standards with regard to serving and supporting our graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, faculty and staff.
Vision: The vision of the UAB Graduate School is to become a leading provider of graduate education that is known for excellence and for promoting exemplary standards for scholarly integrity in all graduate programs of study as well as in postdoctoral training.
- Increase the stipend support for all Ph.D. trainees to discipline-appropriate competitive levels.
- Increase the term of institutional support for first-year Ph.D. students from 12 to 14 or 16 months.
- Enroll highly qualified applicants into master’s and doctoral programs.
- Provide support that assures trainee success.
- Sustain faculty research activity.
- Assist UAB graduate programs to meet their diversity enrollment objectives.
- Maintain master’s and doctoral degree productivity.
- Assure retention of the highest Carnegie research activity classification.
- UAB funding; training grants; individual fellowships
- Promote excellent mentorship:
- Mentorship Academy
- Dean’s Excellence in Mentorship Awards
- Professional development:
- Responsible conduct of research education
- Skill development in teaching, speaking, writing, and grant application preparation
- Support securing research funding
- Training grant application preparation support