You have and may request the right to notification about:
  • All criminal proceedings and charges filed against the defendant, with the exception of initial appearance, and the right to be present at all proceedings:
  • To necessary information regarding the appropriate agencies from which you may request information and assistance;
  • To an explanation of the pre-sentence report, a right to make a written or oral statement to the probation officer, and a right to review the pre-sentence report;
  • To be notified of the time and place of any sentencing hearing and to make a statement, or present any information at a sentencing proceeding or any other proceedings as authorized by law;
  • To information regarding the return of any property taken;
  • To be provided the date of conviction, acquittal or dismissal of charges against the defendant and the sentence imposed;
  • To refuse an interview or other communication by the defendant, his attorney or anyone acting on his behalf;
  • The status and results of any post conviction appeal;
  • To be provided a waiting area separate from the defendant, his relatives and defense witnesses if available and practical;
  • To submit a statement to be entered into the prisoner's records;
  • To be notified of release, on bond and from prison, escape, re-arrest or death of prisoner;
  • To information regarding collecting of restitution;
  • To release opinion by the Alabama Department of Mental Health;
  • To be notified of any hearings by the Board of Pardons and Paroles and the right to be present and hear such hearings.

As a crime victim, you may be entitled to compensation from the Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Commission. You may be eligible if you meet the following criteria:


  • You have been the victim of personal injury as the result of criminally injurious conduct.
  • You are the dependent of a deceased victim, if such victim died as a result of this crime.
  • You did not cause or contribute to the injury or death of the victim.
  • An application is filed within one year of the incident.
  • The incident was reported to law enforcement within 72 hours.
  • You cooperated fully with law enforcement officials.
  • Your economic loss has not been paid by other sources.

For Additional Information Contact

Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Commission
P.O. Box 1548
Montgomery, Alabama 36102-1548
(800) 541-9388 or (334) 242-4007