The procedures you must take in order to obtain a warrant for someone who has committed a crime against you are as follows:
  1. Obtain a copy of the police report from the police department which investigated your incident. This can be accomplished by presenting the case card which was given to you by the investigating police officer. Take the case card, which has your case number on it, to the Police Records Division, to obtain a copy of your report.
  2. With a copy of your report, appear before the magistrate, along with any witnesses, to have a warrant issued. The City of Birmingham Magistrate's office is open 24 hours-a-day throughout the year. The city's magistrate has authority only for misdemeanor offenses which took place in Birmingham. The office is located at 425 6th Avenue South. For questions concerning a warrant, call (205) 254-6514.
  3. Warrants concerning a felony must be filed with the Jefferson County District Court (801 21st Street North). For questions concerning felony warrants, call (205) 325-5252.
  4. Complaints concerning juveniles must be filed with the Jefferson County Family Court (120 2nd Court North). For questions concerning offenses committed by a juvenile, call The Deputy District Attorney Juvenile Court, (205) 325-5480.
Threats or Intimidation:
If the offender THREATENS or INTIMIDATES you: Please contact the detective assigned to your case, contact the Jefferson County District Attorney's Office for adult offenders, or the Jefferson County Juvenile Court for juvenile offenders.