There’s no shortage of ways to celebrate Homecoming and UAB’s 50th Anniversary this week, and some of them will affect parking, transportation and building access — including the Gurney Derby Wednesday, Fan Fest and Hoops at the Hill Thursday, the Homecoming parade and concert featuring Weezer and Gashi Friday.
Specially developed FAQs, maps and online resources are available that should enable everyone to plan head, navigate and traverse campus safely and enjoy the fun that has been more than a year in the making.
“I want to thank everyone who has worked hard to make these special events possible,” said UAB President Ray Watts. “Committees and workgroups made up of students, faculty and staff have planned well to minimize disruptions and maximize fun. I hope everyone enjoys a safe and exciting week of festivities, capped off with a Blazer Football win over Old Dominion on Saturday at 3 p.m.”
Here are the highlights of the temporary disruptions during the week:
Campus Green access
- Portions of the Green will be blocked off beginning Tuesday to setup for Friday’s concert.
- Most academic buildings around the Green will have limited or no access Friday evening; however, the Rec Center and the Commons will maintain regular hours.
- Wednesday: 13th Street South between 10th Avenue and University Boulevard will close 5 a.m.-1:30 p.m. for the Gurney Derby.
- 14th Street between 10th Avenue and University Boulevard will close to automotive traffic all day beginning 5 a.m. to accommodate the parade and concert.
- Streets along the route will close temporarily for the noon-time parade.
- 10th Avenue South between 14th and 16th streets will close to automotive traffic 3 p.m.-midnight Friday. A map of closed roads is online.
Parking and transportation changes
- Lot/deck closures
- Parking Lot 5A (east of the Hill Student Center) will close Thursday and Friday for Hoops on the Hill and the Weezer/Gashi concert.
- Some lots and decks will be used for concert parking Friday evening; parkers with permits in affected lots and decks will receive an email from UAB Transportation Services with specifics and helpful guidance. A concert parking map is available online.
- Blazer Express/Transportation Services
- Some Blazer Express bus routes will be altered beginning 3 p.m. Friday, but van service will be available through the Transit Office; call 205-934-3514. Details about route changes are available online.