The UAB Athletics Campaign will publicly launch Aug. 18 with an event for UAB fans and Blazer Boosters in the UAB Alumni House. Doors will open at 4 p.m. All are welcome.
“The outpouring of support shown by donors, alumni and countless fans who are investing in these programs has been overwhelming,” said UAB Director of Athletics Mark Ingram. “We must capitalize on this exceptional opportunity within our community and give UAB student-athletes every opportunity to compete for championships while earning a degree from this outstanding institution.”
Ingram recently announced that UAB Rifle will compete in the 2015-16 season as a co-ed squad, UAB Bowling will resume competition during the next academic year and UAB Football will compete in the 2017 season at the Football Bowl Subdivision level.
Hatton Smith, emeritus CEO of Royal Cup Coffee and Tea, will chair the campaign committee to raise funds, particularly for athletics facilities. Many Birmingham business leaders have stepped forward to support the campaign and volunteer their service on this committee, and Smith is “thrilled.”
"I truly believe that together we will position UAB Football for competitive excellence," Smith said. “These community leaders understand facility upgrades are essential, and we appreciate the opportunity to partner with UAB Athletics to build programs that generate proud moments for both UAB and Birmingham.”
Joining Smith in this capital campaign are many of Birmingham’s outstanding business leaders:
- Adam S. Cohen, partner, Cityscape Development Group
- Alicia Huey, president, Greater Birmingham Association of Home Builders
- Brian H. Bucher, regional president, PNC Bank
- Brian Hilson, president and CEO, Birmingham Business Alliance
- Brooks Harris, co-president, Harris Doyle Homes
- C. Phillip McWane, chairman, McWane Inc.
- Charles A. Collat, chairman emeritus, Mayer Electric Supply Company Inc.
- Charles E. Nowlin, founder, Nowlin & Associates Inc.
- Danny McKinney, CEO, McKinney Capital
- David L. Silverstein, principal, Bayer Properties LLC
- Donald M. Hire Jr., retired president, Armstrong Relocation Company
- Giles G. Perkins, partner, Adams and Reese LLP
- H. Craft O'Neal, chairman and CEO, O’Neal Industries
- Harold W. Ripps, CEO and general partner, Rime Capital Account Inc.
- Izell Reese, executive vice president, NCSA Athletic Recruiting
- J. Richard Cashio, owner and president, Total Alloy Steel Service Company
- James J. Filler, retired president and treasurer, Jefferson Iron and Metal Co
- James C. Lee III, chairman and CEO, Buffalo Rock Company
- James Spann, chief meteorologist, ABC 33/40
- James T. McManus II, chairman and CEO, Energen Corporation
- Joel T. Welker, president and publisher, Birmingham Business Journal
- John J. McMahon Jr., chairman, Ligon Industries LLC
- Joseph L. McGee, president and CEO, Legacy Community Federal Credit Union
- Justin R. Craft, president, Nowlin & Associates Inc.
- Leigh V. Collier, regional president, Wells Fargo Bank
- Lenora W. Pate, shareholder, Sirote & Permutt P.C.
- M. James Gorrie, president and CEO, Brasfield & Gorrie LLC
- M. Miller Gorrie, chairman, Brasfield & Gorrie LLC
- Michael F. Pizitz, president, Pizitz Management Group
- Merrill H. Stewart Jr., president and founder, Stewart/Perry Construction
- Michael D. Thompson, president and CEO, Thompson Tractor Co. Inc.
- Nelson S. Bean, president and CEO, First Commercial Bank
- R. Lee Smith Jr., executive vice president, BBVA Compass Bank
- Richard Murray IV, president and CEO, National Bank of Commerce
- Robert A. Simon, president, Corporate Realty Associates Inc.
- Robert P. MacKenzie III, partner, Starnes Davis Florie LLP
- Steve DeMedicis, president, Red Mountain Technologies
- Thomas H. Brigham Jr., chairman, ARC Realty LLC
- Thomas R. Cosby, fundraising consultant, Birmingham Landmarks
- T. Michael Goodrich, chairman, Timberline Holdings LLC
- T. Michael Goodrich II, principal, First Avenue Ventures LLC
- W. Lee Thuston, managing partner, Burr & Forman
- W. Stancil Starnes, chairman and CEO, ProAssurance Corporation
- Walter Howlett Jr., chairman and CEO, A.G. Gaston Enterprises
- William B. Morton Jr. president and CEO, Robins & Morton
- William R. Ireland Jr., executive vice president, National Bank of Commerce
Blazer Boosters will begin sending monthly updates on fundraising progress during the UAB Athletics Campaign.
To make a pledge specific to the Football, Bowling & Rifle Support Fund or Football Facility Fund complete and return an official gift agreement. Pledges, which can be fulfilled over a five-year period, are separate from Blazer Booster annual donations that provide ticket and parking benefits.
Learn about giving opportunities online at blazerboosters.com or call Blazer Boosters at 205-996-9969 for more information.