UAB and the American Red Cross are holding a blood drive Dec. 9-19. You can donate blood Dec. 9-14 in the UAB Hospital North Pavilion Atrium and at UAB Highlands Hospital Dec. 17-19. All blood types are needed; bring a photo ID and enter for a chance to win one of four $100 VISA gift cards.
Hours at the North Pavilion:
- Monday, Dec. 9, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 10, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 11, 7 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 12, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 13, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 14, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Hours at UAB Highlands:
- Tuesday, Dec. 17, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 18, 6:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 19, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
UAB is one of the largest users nationally of blood supplied by the Red Cross. Blood products are used during surgery, transplantation, trauma care, difficult pregnancies and cancer treatment. It is not unheard of for a single patient to require as many as 100 units.
Donors can give blood up to six times a year, once every eight weeks. The process takes about 45 minutes; the actual blood collection usually takes less than 20 minutes.