President Ray Watts and Provost Pam Benoit will recognize award winners during the annual Faculty Convocation 4 p.m. Oct. 22 in the Doubletree Hotel.
Among the honorees is Cynthia Selleck, Ph.D., recipient of the 2018 Odessa Woolfolk Community Service Award. Selleck is a professor in the School of Nursing and associate dean for clinical and global partnerships.
Scott Phillips, Ph.D., director of the UAB Center for Teaching and Learning, will receive the 2018 Sam Brown Bridge Builder Award for his deep and abiding commitment to collaborating across campus that enhances the research and teaching activities of the University.
Michael Sloane, Ph.D., associate professor in the Department of Psychology and director of the University Honors Program, is the recipient of the 2018 Ellen Gregg Ingalls/UAB National Alumni Society Award for Lifetime Achievement in Teaching. This award is presented annually to a full-time regular UAB faculty member who, throughout his/her career at UAB, has demonstrated an outstanding commitment to teaching.
The President’s Award for Excellence in Support of UAB and Shared Governance will be presented to Professor Mike Wyss, Ph.D., immediate past chair of the UAB Faculty Senate. In his various roles, Wyss, who directs UAB’s Center for Community Outreach Development, has continuously advocated for collaboration among campus units and the city of Birmingham.
Twelve faculty selected to receive the President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching also will be recognized:
- Ramzi Abou-Arraj, DDS, associate professor of periodontology, School of Dentistry
- Stella Aslibekyan, Ph.D., associate professor of epidemiology, Honors College
- Elizabeth Barstow, Ph.D., associate professor of occupational therapy, School of Health Professions
- William Brooks, Ph.D., associate professor of cell, developmental and integrative biology, Joint Health Sciences
- Stacey Cofield, Ph.D., associate professor of biostatistics, School of Public Health
- Christopher Edmonds, Ph.D., assistant professor of accounting and finance, Collat School of Business
- Cassandra Ellis, Ph.D., associate professor of English, College of Arts and Sciences
- Kristine Hopkins, O.D., associate professor of optometry and vision science, School of Optometry
- Jason Kirby, Ph.D., associate professor of civil, construction and environmental engineering, School of Engineering
- Susan McMullen, Ph.D., associate professor of acute, chronic and continuing care, School of Nursing