Visitors are welcome Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. The library is free and open to the public. If you would like to schedule a guided tour or plan on doing research, please contact us in advance to arrange a time.
The Reynolds-Finley Historical Library is located on the 3rd floor of Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences, 1700 University Boulevard, in Birmingham, Alabama.
Parking options for LHL patrons/visitors (NOTE: charges for different decks vary and LHL does not validate parking).
- Callahan Eye Foundation Hospital (1720 University Boulevard)
- University Boulevard Parking Deck (1915 University Boulevard)
- Children’s Hospital Parking Deck (7th Avenue South at 16th Street)
- Limited 2-hour metered parking available in the blocks immediately surrounding the library
- It is requested that patrons set up an appointment in advance of their visit.
- Patrons are required to register on their visit and to present a photographic identification.
- Patrons may bring paper, pencils and personal computers. Other such personal items such as briefcases, purses, and backpacks must be stored in the lockers provided. Hand-held scanners are not permitted.
- Eating, drinking, and smoking are not allowed in the research room.
- A staff member will speak with you about your research interest and will obtain material for you; patrons are not allowed to pull material. All material must be used in the research room and may not be removed for any reason. Patrons will be provided a limited amount of material at a time, and staff will monitor use of all material.
- Patrons should exercise the greatest of care in the use of materials by not marking, tearing, or otherwise damaging them. Material may not be leaned on, written on, folded, traced over, or handled in any way that may cause damage. Library patrons may also be required to use book cradles for fragile items.
- Always use a pencil when conducting research – pencils can be provided.
- Before leaving the research room, patrons should return all material to the staff.
- The staff will make all photocopies at the fees detailed below and will show patrons how to tag material for copying. Some items may not be copied based on their condition or other legal restrictions; the final determination in such cases rests with the staff. Copies may not always be available on the day requested.
- Photocopies: $0.25 per page for UAB affiliates; $0.50 per page for non-UAB affiliates
- Photographs: Copy duplicates of images may be available, please consult the staff for additional information and fees.
- Digital Scans: $2.00 per page [The library does not provide any warranty to the quality of the images produced.]
- All material used should be credited appropriately to the “Reynolds-Finley Historical Library, University of Alabama at Birmingham.” Proper citation forms can be provided for publication.
- In granting permission to use materials, the University of Alabama at Birmingham does not waive any proprietary rights in the material. The patron takes full responsibility for securing permission from the owner of the copyright or literary right in the event of publication. The patron also assumes responsibility for obeying any privacy or legal regulations regarding the use of the material.
- Permission to publish images will require the completion of a separate permission agreement processed through the University’s legal office.
Phone: (205) 934-4475
Fax: (205) 975-8476
Mailing Address: (Note: Different than street address!)
Reynolds-Finley Historical Library
UAB Lister Hill Library 301
1720 2nd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294-0013
Michael A. Flannery, Associate Director for Historical Collections
Peggy Balch, Library Associate II