Your application to the PhD in Nutrition Sciences is completed through the UAB Graduate School admissions process. Please click “Admissions” to find additional information about application deadlines, how to apply, and admission requirements.
The PhD program in Nutrition Sciences accepts admission for the fall term only.
The PhD Admissions Committee begins their review of complete applications on February 1 for the upcoming fall term. Please note that if February 1 falls on a weekend, the deadline for complete applications is the next business day.
Students who are competitive for the PhD program have an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.5 and GRE score (verbal + quantitative) of 310 (GRE completed within the past 5 years). A degree in a recognized field of biological, physical, chemical, agricultural or engineering science from an accredited university is preferred.
For international students, there is an expected TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 80 (internet version), 550 (paper version), 213 (computer version) or a minimum score of 6.0 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). If you are an international student, please contact UAB International Affairs office at https://www.uab.edu/students/international.
Please note: we do not offer conditional admission.
And if you would like to see our Student Handbook please click here.
UAB Graduate School Application Process
- Complete the on-line UAB Graduate School application by clicking on the green box to the right. The fee for international applicants is $60, this fee is waived for domestic applicants.
- Please address the following topics in your letter of application:
- Short-term and long-term professional goals
- Research and other training experiences that make you well suited for this program
- Reasons for applying to this program
- Submit official transcripts from all universities and colleges attended directly to the UAB Graduate School – note that proof of degree is required. If you have earned your degree from an international university, then you are required to submit a transcript evaluation from World Education Services (WES) at www.wes.org or from Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) at https://www.ece.org/.
- Letters of Recommendation are required. As part of your application to UAB Graduate School, you will provide reference contact information, including email addresses. UAB Graduate School will contact each of your references who will submit their letters online directly to UAB Graduate School.
- Submit official scores of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) directly from the testing service to UAB Graduate School. Your application can be reviewed by the PhD Admissions Committee only after the graduate school receives your scores. Scores may not be more than five years prior to the desired term of admission. UAB GRE code number is: 1856
- International applicants whose native language is not English must submit scores on the TOEFL or IELTS. These scores must be reported to UAB Graduate School directly from the testing service.
Please note that your application is sent from UAB Graduate School to our department for review only after completion with official transcripts, letters of recommendation and official testing scores.