The Graduate Certificate in Global Health is a transdisciplinary program designed for students who seek a broad and flexible set of skills for understanding contemporary health challenges and thinking about how they might best be solved to improve health and health equity worldwide.The curriculum emphasizes the development of core skills in critical thinking, problem-solving and the importance of direct experience (research, study abroad, service learning and advocacy).
This 15-hour certificate program offers UAB graduate students (and selected undergraduate students) the opportunity to gain knowledge in the ways that global processes (like globalization, climate change, and global migration) converge on local communities to impact individual health and health care delivery. Core courses will provide certificate students with the foundations and theories needed to apply global health frameworks in different settings and cultures.
Elective courses will offer the opportunity for application through projects working with international partners and global health scholars to cultivate the capacity to deal with any complex global health problem: how to identify the critical issues, ask the right questions, and create solutions that are meaningful and effective in the local and global context.
How to enroll
Depending on your program of study, GHS classes may be able to count toward the degree you are already pursuing. Consult with your degree's program coordinator for details.
Professionals, UAB employees, and other community members interested in enrolling in the program can apply as a non-degree seeking student through the UAB Graduate school. See application & deadline information here: UAB Graduate School
- Completed between 60 and 90 hours of undergraduate coursework (minimum of 36 hours must be completed at UAB).
- A minimum institutional GPA of 3.5.
- An unofficial copy of current UAB undergraduate transcript.
- One-page, 1.5 spaced career statement describing interests and goals in Global Health.
- A one-page CV/resume of academic activities including awards and community service.
- Contact Information for two recommendations: one from a current academic advisor and one from current or previous college course instructor