The New Start Option serves the student who previously accumulated a poor academic record, but who has recently demonstrated the ability to succeed in college-level work at UAB. The option enables the student to eliminate from the grade point calculation all grades and credit hours earned prior to the date of the New Start and begin anew with work from that point forward. To be eligible, a student must not have been enrolled in an academic institution for at least five (5) consecutive calendar years. The policy does not apply to college graduates or to admission policies in the Schools of Nursing, Health Professions, or Education (Teacher Education Program).
To apply for the New Start Option, the student must obtain the written approval of an academic advisor. The application must be filed with the Office of the Registrar prior to graduation and must specify a date, called the New Start date, prior to which all grades and notations are voided.
1. The student’s transcript contains at least 24 semester hours of course work applicable to a degree (i.e. hours earned, but not necessarily to a particular major) at UAB, posted after the requested New Start date;
The application will not be considered until the following are met:
2. The Higher Education GPA on all work taken after the requested New Start date, as well as the UAB GPA, must be at least 2.0.
Policies governing the New Start Option are as follows:1. Upon approval of the application, all grades (including passing grades) and notations listed on the transcript prior to the New Start date are placed in a separate listing on the transcript and are voided for purposes of satisfying UAB degree requirements and computing GPA. The transcript carries the notation: “Approved for New Start (date); work prior to this date is not calculated in GPA or applied toward a degree.”
2. All work completed after the New Start date is counted toward completion of a degree, in accordance with policies of the catalog in effect at the New Start date. The transcript will be re-evaluated from the New Start date. The forgiveness policy applies only to courses taken after the New Start date.
3. A course completed before the New Start date, and which is a prerequisite for a course to be taken later, must be taken again even if successfully completed before the New Start date, unless explicit exception is made by the chair of the department in which the course is taught.
4. The student may employ alternative credit to replace some voided courses taken prior to the New Start date.
5. A student may not use the New Start Option to graduate with honors.
6. The New Start Option may be granted only once during the student’s academic career at UAB and is irrevocable.
To request the New Start Option, please complete the below form with your academic advisor.New Start Option Petition Form
Then return the form to the Office of the Registrar:1605 11th Ave. South