Documentation GuidelinesAll reports should be current and typed on letterhead, dated, and signed.
The following should be included in the report:
- Student information including name, date of most recent evaluation
- Evaluator name, title, and credentials
- History to Support Diagnosis
- Description of the duration and severity of the disorder
- Relevant medical, familial, and social histories
- Brief description of academic history and evidence of early impairment
- Evidence of current impairment
- Description of how disability currently impacts the student in social, academic, or occupational settings
- Description of how the disability will limit the student in the classroom
- Assessment Information
- Results and interpretation of any clinical interviews or testing conducted including scores and subscores
- Description of evaluation instruments utilized
- Examples of assessment tools for ADHD based on adult norms include: Conners Rating Scales, Brown ADD Rating Scales, DSM-5 Checklist, etc.
- Examples of instruments measuring aptitude/cognitive ability include: Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale, Woodcock-Johnson Psychoeducational Battery-Revised: Tests of Cognitive Ability, Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale, etc.
- Examples of instruments measuring academic achievement include: Woodcock-Johnson Psychoeducational Batter-Revised: Tests of Achievement, Wechsler Individual Achievement Test, Stanford Test of Academic Skills
- Treatment and Medication (if applicable)
- Description of any current medication or treatment being implemented
- Clear statement of diagnosis including the DSM-5 diagnostic code
- Include DSM-5 criteria upon which diagnosis was established
- Recommended Accommodations
- Specific recommendations for accommodations and the rationale for the accommodations
Disability Support ServicesPhone (205) 934-4205
University of Alabama at Birmingham
9th Ave Office Building, Suite 100
1720 2nd Ave S.
Birmingham, AL 35294-1413
TDD (205) 934-4248
Fax (205) 934-8170