Our Off-Campus Student Guide outlines the steps and resources to help you have an extraordinary off-campus living experience. Utilize this guide to answer your off-campus housing questions, learn about university and city resources, and understand your rights and responsibilities as an off-campus resident. Printed copies of the guide are available in the Off-Campus Student Lounge, HSC 140. 

View Off-Campus Student Guide


How will I know which organization is right for me?

Engage has an events tab, which displays a calendar of organization’s events. If an organization or event seems interesting to you, make plans to attend one of their open events! Also, look out for more information about the Student Involvement Fair, which takes place early into the fall semester. You can always contact the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for more information. Additionally, you can schedule an appointment with a Pathfinder in the Off-Campus Student Lounge, and they can walk you through involvement options. Pathfinders are student workers who are trained to do involvement consultations, and you can contact them at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

How do I let an organization know I am interested in joining?

On an organization’s profile page on Engage, the president’s contact information is listed. Sending them an email expressing your interest is a great start to seeking membership! They will be able to give you more information on their organization’s open events and membership selection processes.

How can I join an organization that has an application or election process, like UAB Ambassadors or the Undergraduate Student Government Association?

For organizations with an application or election process, stay updated with the organization’s timeline through Engage and the organization’s social media outlets. Both of these sources will often advertise when applications or intent to run forms are available and due. Note that for organizations like these, attending an interest session is often required.

How can I get involved with Fraternity and Sorority Life at UAB?

UAB is home to over 20 Greek-letter fraternities and sororities, belonging to 4 Greek Councils. Visit uab.edu/greeks for more information on each council, organization, and their recruitment schedules.

I want to get involved through an on-campus job. How can I find and apply for the right job for me?

An on-campus job can be a great way to find your place at UAB. HireABlazer, found on the right-hand side of your BlazerNET page, will guide you through the job search process. Your resume will even be reviewed and approved prior to being added to your job application. In addition, the office of Career and Professional Development has walk-in hours where you can speak with them about the job search process.


What if I do not know anyone and I need to find a roommate?

The Off-Campus Housing Website serves as a one-stop shop for those affiliated with UAB. Under the Roommates tab, you can search for roommates based on budget, interests, and preferences. To get started, create your active roommate profile. After this, you can search potential roommates' profiles.

Also, see our sample roommate agreement HERE.

What if I need a shorter-term lease?

You can find housing options with varying lease terms on the Off-Campus Housing Website under “More Filters” in the “Housing” section.

What is an individual lease?

An individual lease is one where only your name, and a co-signer if applicable, appear. This type of lease is common in student-style housing complexes. With an individual lease you are only responsible for your portion of the rent.

A landlord has asked me to submit payment with my application. Is this normal? Do I have to submit payment?

It is not uncommon for application fees to be due with an application. This fee typically covers background or credit checks.

How long is a lease for?

Lease terms can vary in length but are typically for 9 or 12 months. It is not uncommon to see slightly higher rent amounts for shorter leases.

When do I need to contact utility companies?

This is a great question to ask while touring off campus housing or before signing the lease. Utility companies can vary depending on where housing is located. As a general rule, two weeks before move-in is a great time to reach out to utility companies.

What is a co-signer?

A co-signer is a person that becomes financially responsible to pay the rent should you no longer be able to and/or in the event that the property is damaged. Unless you can prove to the landlord that you meet their income requirements on your own, you will likely need a co-signer. Be aware that not all landlords will accept a co-signer, so be sure to ask.

I’m moving out soon. What should I do to prepare to ensure I receive my security deposit back?

Start preparing to move out early! Be sure to fix minor changes or damages. Remove all nails and screws from the walls and ceiling, and don’t forget to clean appliances as well.


Where can I buy groceries?

There are several grocery stores close to campus, including Publix at Midtown 20 and Piggly Wiggly on Clairmont Avenue. A quick Google search can provide specific information for neighborhoods in the surrounding Birmingham area.

Can I purchase a meal plan if I live off campus?

  • Yes! Meal plans are available for purchase for all students here.
  • All undergraduate students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours will be assessed a $225 Campus Dining Fee during the fall and spring semesters.


Do I need a car to live off-campus?

There are a number of factors that go into deciding if you can live off-campus without a car. Walkscore is a great place to start. A commute report will provide detailed information on your options to commute to campus without a car. More information regarding carpooling and other commuting options are listed here.

Where can I park on campus?

  • Campus Parking Map
  • Parking passes can be purchased here and are required in all UAB lots.
  • Remote parking lots are the most likely to be available during peak parking times. The Blazer Express provides shuttles to campus every 10 minutes, and their routes can be found here.

View a full video tutorial from UAB Transportation on all of your parking options and how to purchase permits HERE.


What is the difference between parking tickets received from UAB and the City of Birmingham?

UAB Parking Citations – UAB parking citations can be paid online. Unpaid tickets will be forwarded to student accounting for collection; an additional charge of $7 will be assessed for collection. City of Birmingham Citations – The City of Birmingham does issue parking citations on UAB’s campus. Citations are red or white in color and penalties must be paid to the City of Birmingham. For more information contact 205-254-2161 or visit the official website.

How safe is Birmingham?

  • Remember that Birmingham is a metropolitan area, and we always recommend, regardless of where you choose to live, that you practice safe behavior. Resources available include:


Does the Student Code of Conduct apply to me if I live off campus?

Yes! The Student Code of Conduct applies to all students enrolled at UAB.

What can I do between classes?

There are a number of things to do on campus between classes. The Off-Campus Student Lounge (next to Tech Connect in the Hill Student Center) is a great place to study, hang out, or connect with other campus resources. Breaks between classes are also a great time to workout at the Campus Rec, grab lunch on campus, or study in Sterne or Lister Hill Library.