Sexual Assault Counseling, Support and Advocacy
If you have been raped or sexually assaulted and you choose to obtain counseling services, The Women’s Center and Rape Response are available to you.
- If the assault has happened in the past 72 hours and you need medical services, please call 323-7273 (Rape Response). Rape Response has a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) clinic that can examine you and provide medical services immediately. (Please see link below for a detailed Guide for Victims of Sexual Assault)
- If you are seeking counseling services because you have been sexually assaulted or raped, and it is not an immediate medical crisis, please call the Women’s Center at 934-6946 to schedule an appointment.
Sexual Harassment Consultation, Counseling and Support
If you are a student and feel that you have been sexually harassed, our Women’s Center counselor is available to help you deal with your feelings and can explain what your options are should you decide to file a formal complaint. Should you decide not to go through the formal process, your disclosure will be held in confidence and you can continue to obtain support and counseling in our office. You do not have to file a complaint to use the counseling services in our office.
Visit UAB’s policy regarding Sexual Harassment, “UAB Equal Opportunity and Discriminatory Harassment Policy”.
Outstanding Women Awards
UAB Women’s Center, UAB Women’s and Gender Studies, and UAB Commission on the Status of Women are proud to announce the recipients of the 2014 Outstanding Women Awards. These Women have made it easier for other women to achieve, have taken a courageous stance, have provided significant service to women, and/or have overcome adversity to achieve their goals.
- Aisha B. Regan - The Outstanding Woman UAB Undergraduate Student
- Dr. Emily Dhurandhar – The Outstanding Woman UAB Postdoctoral Fellow
- Ms. Connie Bonds – The Outstanding Woman UAB Staff Member
- Dr. Julia S. Austin – The Becky Trigg Outstanding Woman UAB Faculty Member
- Ms. Kate Nielsen – The Lifetime of Service to Women and the Community Award
- Pamela W. Biron – Outstanding Woman in the Community
- Ms. Stephanie Meadows – The Susan D. Marchase Outstanding UAB Administrator Award
A reception to honor these women will be held on Thursday, March 13, 2014
from 4:30 to 5:30 pm at the UAB Alumni House
Please RSVP to 934-6946 by Thursday March 6, 2014.
Resource Information and Referral
The Women’s Center provides information about women’s issues and mental health-related services throughout the UAB community and the Birmingham area.