This is an active open enrollment, which means any benefit-eligible employee of UAB, UAB Hospital and UAB Hospital Management LLC who does not select a 2020 health care plan option by Nov. 11 will not have UAB-provided health care coverage (medical, dental and vision) beginning Jan. 1, 2020.
There are several items of note:
- A transition in the tier structure that began in 2017 continues and may affect employees whose spouses are covered through their UAB benefits. The 2020 calendar year will be the final year the transition tier is available.
- UAB’s medical premium assistance is available to covered employees whose household income, based on family size, is two (2) times the federal poverty level or less.
- Both vision plan options will see an increase to the frame and contact allowance of $40
All the information employees need to make their selections are collected in the open enrollment toolkit in the UAB for Me benefits portal. This includes plan details, educational pieces, FAQs, decision-making tools and other resources that can help you make selections.
Employees who want assistance sorting through the options have several choices to help them select the one best suited for their household:
- A plan comparison feature is available during the online open enrollment process.
- HR representatives will answer questions during UAB Benefits Fair 7 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 31 in the UAB Hospital West Pavilion Atrium.
- HR Consultants or HR Benefits Representative will be available in individual schools/ departments for your convenience. A full schedule of the locations and times is available in the UAB for Me benefits portal under the Quick Links section and Open Enrollment Toolkit.
- Employees may contact their HR consultant or the UAB Benefits office, email@example.com or 934-3458.
More on open enrollment:Information about benefit options is being provided to better enable you to make the best choices for your household.
5 things to know about open enrollment
Consumer-driven health plan continues to grow in favor
3 traditional health plan options are available for 2020
Dental coverage is available from BCBS
Premiums for health, dental and vision
9 ways to reduce your health care costs in 2020
Voluntary benefits to be offered during open enrollment