UAB’s annual open enrollment for benefits will begin 7 a.m. Oct. 23 and conclude 5 p.m. Nov. 9. Eligible employees can choose among dental, vision and health insurance plans, plus voluntary plan options and tax-deferred spending accounts for health and dependent care for 2021. Employees are encouraged to complete their online elections early to ensure adequate time is available for Human Resources to assist those who may need it while social distancing guidelines for COVID-19 are in effect.
This is an active open enrollment, which means any benefit-eligible employee of UAB, UAB Hospital and UAB Hospital Management LLC who does not select a 2021 health care plan option by Nov. 9 will not have UAB-provided health care coverage (medical, dental and vision) beginning Jan. 1, 2021.
There are several items of note:
- A transition in the tier structure that began in 2017 is complete. Effective Jan. 1, 2021 employees will choose from single, employee + child(ren) or family for health care plans.
- Health care rates are flat or decreased for 2021
- UAB’s medical premium assistance is available to covered employees whose household income, based on family size, is two (2) times the federal poverty level or less.
All the information employees need to make their selections are collected in the open enrollment toolkit in the UAB for Me benefits portal. This includes plan details, educational pieces, FAQs, decision-making tools and other resources that can help you make selections.
Employees who want assistance sorting through the options have several choices to help them select the one best suited for their household:
- A plan comparison feature is available during the online open enrollment process.
- HR Consultants or HR Benefits Representative will be available in individual schools/ departments for your convenience. A schedule of the zoom dates and times is available in the UAB for Me benefits portal under the Quick Links section and Open Enrollment Toolkit.
- Employees may contact their HR consultant or the UAB Benefits office, email@example.com or 934-3458.
All elections will be effective Jan. 1, 2021, and new premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage and any voluntary benefits selected will be reflected in the January 2021 payroll.