International Transfer Credits

Students who have completed college level work in a country other than the United States are eligible to receive transfer credit if the institution is officially recognized by the respective Ministry of Education or governing educational body.

  • Transcript Evaluation by a credentials evaluator

    Both freshmen and transfer students must have previous academic courses taken outside the U.S. evaluated by a credentials evaluation agency. For transfer students with university transcripts, you will need to request a course-by-course evaluation with a GPA computation (see the evaluator web sites for specific instructions). At your request, the agency will send UAB an evaluation report of your previous academic work. UAB will use the report to make the admission decision. The minimum GPA required is a 2.00/4.00.

    The following companies can evaluate your university documents. This may take up to 5 weeks.  We ONLY accept evaluations from WES or ECE.

    Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
    P.O Box 514070
    Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
    Phone: 414-289-3400
    Fax: 414-289-3411
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


    World Education Services (WES)
    P.O. Box 5087, Bowling Green Station
    New York, NY 10274-5087
    Phone: 212-966-6311
    Fax: 212-739-6120
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    Applicants may not disregard any part of their educational history, and failure to report all institutions previously attended will be cause for cancellation of the admissions process or for dismissal. All credentials submitted for admission to UAB become property of the university and will not be returned or released.

  • Matching your courses to UAB courses: Articulation

    There is an additional process to allow those previously completed credits to count toward the completion of your UAB degree: Articulation. The Articulation process is used by UAB to determine whether or not academic coursework completed at another academic institution is equivalent to UAB coursework.

    With only a WES or ECE credentials evaluation, your previous coursework can only be applied as elective credit which does not necessarily satisfy specific degree requirements. If you want your previously earned credit to count toward your UAB degree, you need to have the individual courses matched with UAB courses through the articulation process. To learn how to do this, please read the following instructions carefully:

    Contact Your Academic Advisor

    You should contact your Academic Advisor via telephone, email, or in person to determine if previous coursework might be articulated to allow previous coursework to fulfil UAB degree requirements.

    In your conversation with your advisor you will come to one of the following 2 decisions:

    Decision 1: No Articulation Requested — Students proceed with curriculum as required for degree completion.

    Decision 2: Articulation Requested — Students proceed with transfer articulation process. Students are strongly encouraged to begin the articulation process as soon as possible after admission to UAB. If you and your advisor agree that your previous academic work may possibly be used to satisfy UAB degree requirements, proceed to “Gather the Necessary Information.”

    Note: If student requests that a course that did not appear on original WES or ECE Report to appear on the UAB Transcript, they MUST re-submit documents to WES or ECE and pay for re-evaluation of international academic credentials. This should include courses in progress when original report is requested. WES or ECE re-evaluation is submitted to UAB Admissions Office. UAB Admissions makes any amendments to the UAB Student Transcript. (This may indicate that a student did not submit an accurate report of ALL previous academic work and Admissions will decide if admission should be denied based on their Admissions Policies.)

    Gather the Necessary Information

    Request that your previous international institution submit detailed course information from one of the following lists:

    Note: If English is not the native or official language of student’s home country, all credentials must be translated to English. (See the "Acceptable English Translations" for more details.)

    LIST 1: Detailed Course Syllabus to include ALL of the following:

    • Title of Course
    • Course level (1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year, etc.)
    • Any Pre-requisites required for the course
    • Course Description. For Example:
    • Course Objectives
    • Program of study or Course Content that was covered
    • Whether the course was independent study, a lecture, a seminar, a laboratory, a lecture + laboratory, etc.
    • A description of how student is evaluated for the course. For example: how the final course grade is determined.
    • References utilized during the course, i.e. textbooks used to include titles and authors

    NOTE: It may be helpful to provide a list of your home university’s curriculum to allow the evaluators to see exactly where the course being evaluated falls within home university’s curriculum.


    LIST 2: Detailed Course Description from home university academic course catalogue, or course bulletin

    Note: While course descriptions from home university’s course catalogue or bulletin may serve to articulate a course, a detailed course syllabus as described above will provide the most comprehensive and accurate information to evaluators making articulation decision.

    Note: All submissions coming from home university should be accompanied by a cover letter from the home university on the home university’s official letterhead that includes the name and contact information of the person submitting these academic credentials directly to UAB.

    All documents submitted to UAB for articulation are subject to verification, become property of the university, and will not be returned or released. If any document is found to be fraudulent, the student will be held responsible and may be subject to disciplinary action.

    Note: Though not required by UAB Admissions, students may wish to request that their home university send via post, in a sealed envelope an original transcript directly to the Transfer Articulation Office.

    In all instances, UAB reserves the right to request additional information as needed. It is the student’s responsibility to follow stated transfer articulation guidelines and to ensure that all documents submitted to UAB are complete, accurate and verifiable. Any documents submitted directly by students will be sent back to the issuing institution for verification purposes and may delay the articulation process further. Additionally, the articulation process does not guarantee that an international transfer course will be equivalent to a UAB course and satisfy a degree requirement.

    Where Should I Have My Course Information Mailed?

    For each course the student wishes to be evaluated for articulation, the student MUST request that the home institution submit via mail (sealed envelope) the academic credentials along with a cover letter to the UAB Transfer Articulation office. Any documents submitted directly by students will be sent back to the issuing institution for verification purposes and may delay the articulation process further.

    Mail Course Information To:

    Transfer Articulation
    UAB Smolian International House
    1600 10th Avenue South
    Birmingham, Alabama 35294-1280 USA

    Final Step: Contact Your Academic Advisor

    Once these academic credentials have been submitted to the UAB Transfer Articulation Office, these documents will be forwarded to the appropriate Academic Department representative/evaluator for evaluation of equivalency to UAB coursework.

    Finally, be sure to stay in contact with your Academic Advisor as he or she will receive the final decision and how any articulated courses will fulfil UAB Degree Requirements.

  • Certified English Translations are defined as:

    A.) A translation from native language to English that is completed and certified by the home university. These translations must be sent along with original academic credentials in native language directly to the UAB Transfer Articulation Office. Just as with all original academic credentials, the home university must send these documents and a cover letter on official university letterhead that includes the name and contact information of the person sending these materials. Any materials that arrive in an unsealed envelope or that do not come directly from the home university will not be considered valid.


    B.) A translation of all academic credentials that have been completed certified and sent in a sealed envelope directly to UAB by an American Translators Association (ATA) certified translator. Unless issued in English directly by the academic institutions themselves, documents translated in English must be submitted together with the original language documents issued by the institutions.

    UAB ATA Disclaimer

    Students are responsible for payment of all costs associated with the translation of academic credentials. WES and ECE do NOT provide translation services.

    Due to the general credentialing and certification standards that are required for membership to their organization, the ATA has been listed as a resource to students should an English translation that is certified by the home university not be accessible. However, individual ATA Certified Translators or ATA member agencies are not employed by UAB, nor does UAB endorse any particular translator, translation agency or translation entity.

Back to Top