UAB One Stop Student Services
Hill Student Center, First Floor
Future UAB students should prepare for the FAFSA verification process. About 30 percent of students are selected each year to complete this process, which confirms that the data reported on your FAFSA is complete and accurate. To reduce your chances of being selected for verification—or to minimize the additional information required once you are selected—use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA website.
If you are selected, don’t worry—and rest assured that a detailed verification ensures that you’re considered for the full amount of federal aid for which you qualify. If you’re selected, it will appear on your Student Aid Report (SAR) from the U.S. Department of Education. UAB will also notify you through your uab.edu email address.
How to Prepare for the FAFSA Verification Process
- Log in to BlazerNET, select the “My Financial Aid” tab, and click on “Verification Forms” to view your specific requirements. You will be asked to confirm your identity on your first visit so that your information can be matched to your FAFSA. Be sure to enter your credentials as they appear on the FAFSA. UAB recommends that you opt in for email and text message notifications to receive up-to-date information about your verification.
- Complete the Verification Worksheet, which requires students to enter information about their current household, members of the household, and untaxed benefits. If your parent is required to submit information, this will initiate that step.
- Review the common types of documentation required upon completion of the Verification Worksheet. Documents should be submitted through the verification dashboard on BlazerNET. (Emailed and faxed documents are not accepted.) Include your full name and BlazerID or student number on all documents. However, keep in mind that if you are not selected for verification, submitting documents that are not required may slow the offer process.
- Tax transcript: Request your transcript here and choose to receive it online or by mail.
- Verification of non-filing letter: Get your letter here. Once you click the link, click “Get Transcript Online.”
- W-2: Upload a copy of your original W-2 or request a wage and income transcript.
- Citizenship documentation: Requirements vary based on status. Refer to your verification forms dashboard for specifics.
Financial Aid Offer Process
Your offer will be processed once all of your requirements are satisfied and reviewed by the Office of Student Financial Aid. Allow 14-21 business days for review of your documents once they are received. If the verification process results in corrections that need to be made to your FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office will make them on your behalf.
Students are encouraged to submit all verification documentation at least 45 days before the start of classes. If information is received after this time, the UAB Financial Aid Office cannot guarantee you will receive financial aid prior to your first payment deadline.
Students must submit all requested documents at least one month before the end of the semester. Information received after this time may result in you not receiving an offer for the respective semester. You are responsible for any charges on your student account if verification is not complete.