Visit artists in their studios and buy original artwork at Platform1, a visual arts event benefiting student scholarships, Saturday, Oct. 17, at the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s 2300 Studios.
Art Studio faculty from the College of Arts and Sciences’ Department of Art and Art History will open their studios for exhibitions featuring student and alumni artists, hands-on demonstrations, and a silent auction. The event will take place from 5-8 p.m. at 2300 Seventh Ave. South. The event is free and open to the public. Artwork sales are cash or check and carry; 100 percent of sales will fund student scholarships. For more information, contact Outreach Coordinator Jared Ragland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Featured at Platform1:
- Book and paper arts exhibition with works by alumni and current students
- Bookbinding demonstrations by members of Medium: The Art Club at UAB
- Make sustainably fashioned backpacks from “upcycled” plastic grocery bags
- Projections by New Media and Animation students
- Screen printing demonstrations
- The March Quilts 2016 kick-off event, with visiting artist Amanda Browder
Support for Platform1 comes from the Friends of the Department of Art and Art History, says Chair Lauren Lake, MFA.
“With the help of the Friends of the Department of Art and Art History, UAB students have benefited from a dynamic visiting artists and scholars program, increased scholarships, and a variety of service and community engagement initiatives,” Lake said. “Platform1 was designed as an open house to highlight our student, faculty and alumni work, engage our community, and build support for our Friends campaign.”
To become a member of the Friends of the Department of Art and Art History, visit www.uab.edu/cas/art/give/friends.