What Do I Do if I Have Reached My Limit But Need More Money?

Students who need additional resources to pay for the costs of attending UAB may apply for Federal Grad PLUS loan funds at studentloans.gov. PLUS loans are credit-based loans available to graduate/professional students to help make up the difference between the cost of attendance (annual budget” and other aid, such as grants, scholarships, third party payments and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans. Grad PLUS loans are credit-based loans. If you have an adverse credit history, you may still be able to receive a PLUS loan through one of two options:

  1. Obtaining an endorser who does not have an adverse credit history. An endorser is someone who agrees to repay the Direct PLUS Loan if you do not repay it.
  2. Documenting to the satisfaction of the U.S. Department of Education that there are extenuating circumstances relating to your adverse credit history.

With either option 1 or option 2, you also must complete credit counseling for PLUS loan borrowers on the StudentLoans.gov website.

What Is the Graduate PLUS Loan and How Does it Differ From a Federal Direct Loan?

Graduate PLUS Loan Information