Nursing Interest AdvisingPreparation for becoming a competitive applicant for nursing is a demanding, comprehensive process. You will need to become articulate about the trends and issues in health care, understand the significance of the knowledge and skills you are building in your academic preparation, and develop an awareness of the realities of the nursing profession. Your academic advisor in
CAS Advising will work closely with you to define your plans targeting both the academic and nonacademic activities that will make you a prime, well-rounded candidate for the Nursing Program. You should begin meeting with your advisor at the beginning of your freshman year in order to take full advantage of the opportunities available.
Together for your first two years you will work with your advisor to develop an individual plan that meets your short and long-term goals. You will discuss your transition to UAB, evaluate your academic progress, and plan strategies as needed. You will develop a portfolio of honors, activities and experiences. You and your advisor will use this portfolio to integrate your experiences into a strong application to nursing school.
- Professional Advisor who will guide and support you in your preparation.
- Individual Advising Sessions throughout each term.
- Volunteer Opportunities in a variety of health care settings.
- Extracurricular Activities that help you develop specific skills.
- Cohort Meetings that introduce you to specific elements of the pre-nursing program.
Ms. Mary Leopard, our receptionist, and our student assistants are happy to assist you with scheduling an appointment.