The Career Development Program (CDP) for the UAB Ovarian SPORE will have as its major objective the identification and fostering of new or existing basic and clinical scientists early in their careers who are committed to the pursuit of interdisciplinary ovarian cancer research that possesses significant translational potential. It is anticipated that these junior and mid-level faculty members will not only develop expertise in their own relevant basic and/or clinical ovarian cancer research, but, through sound mentoring, will also develop into productive translational researchers. Thus, a major factor in the selection of candidates will be a demonstrated or anticipated ability of the applicant to communicate ideas among basic and clinical scientists within the SPORE programs. It is anticipated that these individuals would develop into independent investigators capable of competing for R01 and/or K type awards in ovarian neoplasia or related fields of inquiry and that these individuals would provide new leadership at the SPORE, institutional and national level. It is by this mechanism, together with the previously described Developmental Research Program, that the UAB Ovarian SPORE anticipates sustained and measured growth in its portfolio of research projects and in its scientific leadership.
The specific aims of the UAB Ovarian Cancer SPORE CDP are as follows:
- Publicize the availability of career development funds in translational ovarian cancer research.
- Recruit new faculty with a major commitment to translational research in ovarian cancer.
- Define specific criteria for meritorious candidates and career development projects.
- Develop a peer-review mechanism for scoring and ranking competing applications.
- Assist selected CDP investigators in the development of expertise in their own relevant basic and/or clinical ovarian cancer research through sound mentoring.
- Encourage collaborations among investigators within the UAB Ovarian SPORE and with investigators outside the UAB Ovarian SPORE environment.
- Develop an effective evaluation process for funded CDP investigators.
Click on link below to view:
Funded UAB Ovarian SPORE Career Development Program Investigators