UAB offers access to alternative credit opportunities for its students. No more than 45 semester hours can be applied toward a degree.

  • Credit for Military Experience The Academic Programs and Policy Office evaluates courses, training and experience during service in the Armed Forces of the United States. Academic credit may be awarded as recommended by the American Council on Education with approval of the appropriate departmental chair. Undergraduate credit is given with a grade of P (Pass).
  • Credit By Examination (CBE) Credit By Examination (CBE) is a UAB examination program that offers enrolled, degree-seeking, undergraduate students the opportunity to obtain undergraduate credit. The academic department responsible for a subject determines whether an examination will be offered for credit. At any time during the academic year, a request for an examination may be made for any undergraduate course in the present UAB catalog, with the exception of laboratory and seminar-type courses. The Academic Programs and Policy Office acts as the contact point for such requests, forwarding requests to the appropriate academic department for approval. Credit earned will be recorded as P (Pass). These credits may not be counted toward the UAB residency requirement.
  • Credit by Portfolio Under certain circumstances, academic units may award a student undergraduate credit for prior learning achieved outside the traditional academic setting. Credit hours are awarded if a student can demonstrate and document sufficient knowledge and experience of the course material in a formal portfolio. Credit earned will be recorded as P (Pass). These hours may not be counted toward the UAB residency requirement.
  • Birmingham Area Consortium for Higher Education The BACHE Cooperative Course Exchange Program expands the variety of course offerings available to students within the Consortium’s colleges and universities. (Birmingham Southern, Samford Uni - versity, Miles College, Montevallo and the University of Alabama at Birmingham.) Full-time students enrolled at UAB who are in good academic standing may, with written permission from their academic advisor and the appropriate department chair, take a course at another BACHE campus if it is deemed to be beneficial to the student’s overall educational program. The student pays UAB tuition.

Students may also take courses through the Cooperative Exchange Program at the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa and the University of Alabama in Huntsville. Through the program, you earn UAB credits for approved courses taken at other schools. For details, come by the Office of Registration and Academic Records in Hill University Center Room 207A or call 934-8222.