Prospective Honors College Students
UAB Honors College Admission
In order to be admitted to the UAB Honors College, students must first be admitted to the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Following general university admission, there are two paths for incoming freshmen to join the UAB Honors College:
- Invitation – Admitted students with a minimum ACT score of 28 or SAT score of 1260 and a 3.5 GPA will receive an invitation in the mail to join the UAB Honors College. Students who join the UAB Honors College prior to December 15 will have the option of applying to specialized programs in science and technology, interdisciplinary arts and sciences, and global and community leadership. All students offered admission into the UAB Honors College or its programs must confirm their enrollment online no later than May 1, 2015.
- Application – Students who do not meet the standardized test score or GPA requirements must submit an application (coming soon!) in order to be considered for admission. A committee of faculty and staff will review these materials and notify students of their admission status on a monthly rolling basis.
Last year, the UAB Honors College incoming freshman average ACT score was 30 and average GPA was 4.1.
Visiting campus is one of the best ways to determine whether UAB and our Honors College might be a good fit for you. We offer several different campus visit opportunities:
- VIP visits are available by invitation for academically promising juniors and seniors. VIP visits are customized to your interests. Most involve a campus tour, a meeting with faculty or an advisor, or the opportunity to sit in on a class.
- UAB offers special Saturday visit events throughout the year. Check your MyUAB page for information about upcoming UAB Days and Scholars Day visit options.
- Campus Tours are available each weekday at 9:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. These walking tours are led by our student tour-guides, who take visitors through many of our academic buildings and our freshman housing. To learn more, please visit our Campus Tours page. We offer an Honors Information Session each Monday at 9 a.m. at the Campus Tour Center before the 9:30 a.m. tour.
If there is specific information you are seeking or you need to make alternative visit plans, please contact your admissions counselor.
UAB offers a variety of scholarships and financial aid opportunities. Students interested in financial aid should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and visit the Financial Aid website. To be considered for merit scholarships, high school seniors living in Alabama must be admitted by December 1st; out-of-state students must be admitted by May 1st. Information on scholarships is available at uab.edu/scholarships.
Thanks to the generous support of UAB alumni and friends, the Honors College offers approximately 10-15 scholarships each year for outstanding students.
Britt and Susan Sexton Endowed Honors Scholarship
Edith and Fanklyn Zimmerman Endowed Honors Scholarship
Woman’s Club of the Third District of the Alabama Federation of Women’s Clubs, Inc., Endowed Honors scholarship
There are additional scholarships available to students enrolled in the Science and Technology Honors Program and the University Honors Program.