UAB is a research university and academic health center that discovers, teaches and applies knowledge for the intellectual, cultural, social and economic benefit of Birmingham, the state and beyond. The Department of Supplier Diversity was established to assist Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBEs) with gaining equal access to and knowledge of The University of Alabama at Birmingham's (UAB) procurement system. Such is consistent with UAB's commitment to equal opportunity in all purchasing decisions with the objective of achieving and fostering greater DBE participation in procurement and construction programs.
It is the mission of the Department of Supplier Diversity, as a unit within the Office of Equity and Diversity, is to assist in UAB's efforts to increase participation of DBEs in the procurement and construction process through education, advocacy, mentoring, relationship building and other data driven initiatives.
The vision of the Department of Supplier Diversity is to become an outstanding leader in supplier diversity efforts at the local, state and national levels. Moreover, the department seeks to assist DBEs in meeting the standards for building business relationships with UAB.
- To work with all procurement and facilities departments within UAB to design data driven initiatives that will provide unique and innovative insights into emerging procurement and construction trends for DBE suppliers in the 21st Century and beyond.
- To provide regular, detailed and comprehensive reports that will allow UAB units to understand their level of participation, identify problems and seek solutions.
- To work with procurement buyers, contractors and other UAB decision makers in fostering business relationships with DBEs.
- To research the literature and markets to identify various trade fairs and organizations that share the department's core values in order to develop ways of increasing DBE participation at UAB.
- To develop educational and training opportunities for DBEs designed to enhance the understanding of UAB's procurement and construction process.
The Department of Supplier Diversity serves the needs of many diverse citizens and their businesses. As such, the department encourages and fosters an atmosphere of inclusiveness, innovation and integrity with local, regional and national business enterprises. The Supplier Diversity staff takes full advantage of opportunities to enhance and maintain productive business partnerships.
- Diversity and community involvement are essential elements of the business environment at UAB.
- Collaborative efforts such as mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures involving DBEs and majority entities as a means to reach scale is encouraged and valued.
- Education and training opportunities enhance a diverse and competitive business culture.