An Interagency Personnel Agreement (IPA) is a funding mechanism for the VA to reimburse the Department at UAB for a portion or all of the salary and fringe benefits of a UAB faculty or non-faculty person working on sponsored research projects funded by the VA. The goal of this type of agreement is to strengthen the relationship between UAB and the VA by the temporary assignment of UAB skilled personnel to work with the VA; the goal being a mutually beneficial outcome for both parties, e.g. the use of new technologies to solve governmental problems and provide experience to the UAB employee that will enhance his or her performance in their job at UAB.
IPAs can be made for a period of up to two (2) years and can be extended for an additional two (2) year period. Please allow at least thirty (30) days from the date the IPA agreement is generated by the VA for the processing and execution of the agreement.
Any significant changes in an employee’s duties, responsibilities, salary or work location must be recorded as a modification to the original agreement. Minor changes, such as annual salary increases or change in benefit rates are processed via a standard VA memorandum.
VA IPA Process
- The VA Investigator notifies the VA and the Department at UAB of the UAB employee they would like to place on an IPA.
- Post Docs and Graduate Students cannot be on an IPA
- The UAB employee must be a 01 or 03 status employee for at least 3 months/90 days.
- Those residing in the US on a student visa cannot be placed on an IPA.
- The Department initiates the process with a letter or email to the VA.
- The letter includes the employee’s salary, fringe, work location and supervisor.
- The VA generates the agreement and sends it to the Department.
- The Department has the employee sign an original and generates a UAB Extramural Checklist.
- The Department sends the IPA to the OSP via email@example.com as a PDF attachment.
- OSP Data Entry enters into IRAP and assigns an OSP assigned number for the agreement.
- OSP reviews and signs the UAB checklist and the IPA and then calls the VA for pick-up of the original.
- After being signed by the VA, the fully executed original is sent to the OSP.
- An award distribution notification will be sent to the PI, Award Manager and G&C Accounting when the executed agreement is available in IRAP.
VA IPA Termination Process
When terminating an IPA, please notify the VA as soon as possible so that the termination memorandum can be generated and the account closed.
- The Department notifies the VA of the request to terminate
- The VA issues a termination memorandum
- OSP reviews the termination memorandum and forwards to G&C Accounting to close the account.
For addtional information concerning VA IPAs, please contact DeBorrah Noland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: The VA will not pay indirect costs on an IPA.