Moses Sinkala Travel Scholarship and Application Information
In honor of the late Dr. Moses Sinkala, the Sparkman Center for Global Health and the Office of the Vice Provost for Student and Faculty Success have established the Moses Sinkala Travel Scholarship. This annual award is designed to assist UAB students completing an international internship or research opportunity.
Please note that scholarships may not be applied towards field courses, study away opportunities, or programs which require students to pay a fee for placement. Only UAB students in good academic standing may apply. Any UAB student is eligible for this scholarship.
Interested parties need to submit the following:
- Complete application form (see below)
- Transcript (pdf uplaod, unofficial copy can be obtained from Blazernet)
- Project Proposal (pdf upload, should not exceed 5 pages, double-spaced)
Components of the Project Proposal include:
- Synopsis of your background. Include the intent of your project, goals, and a brief description of why you selected this topic of study
- Organization and contact information: Organizations or projects with whom you will be collaborating, including name, phone number, and email of your contact abroad
- IRB approval: State whether the project requires UAB's Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval. If so, include a description of the review process for planned research
- Budget specifying your total cost for this endeavor. Include airfare, room, board, visas, immunizations, etc.
For details on the impact of the Moses Sinkala Travel Scholarship, please peruse the Sparkman Spotlights below:
How to Apply
Applications for the 2022-2023 academic year are now open. The application deadline is Thursday, February 17th. Late applications will not be considered for funding. We anticipate awarding up to $3,000 to 2-3 students.
COVID-19 disclaimer: Awardees have 1 year to use the funds from the Moses Sinkala Travel Scholarship. Funding may be used for travel if decisions made at the university level permit international travel. Funding can also be used for participant incentives or other research costs, depending on the project.