Fall 2015 Move-In Schedule Coming Soon
Can I arrive prior to move-in day and move into my hall?
We will grant requests to move in early when possible, and a daily rate charge will be assessed to your student account. Early move-in requests should be sent to email@example.com by August 8th. Please include your name, BlazerID, date and time you are requesting to move-in, and reason for the request. Our assignments staff will respond by email to let you know if your request is approved.
- At orientation, pick up your UAB ONECard – this is your student ID, and you will need it to check into your building, for entry into your residence hall, and to use your meal plan and BlazerBucks.
- Contact your roommate to start to get to know him/her and discuss items for room to avoid duplicates.
- Make a packing list. Consider packing in reusable containers to avoid waste and make packing easier at move-out. These can be stored in closets or under beds. We recommend making a packing list of valuable items to ensure that these items return home in April (e.g., laptop, TV, Blu-ray player, etc.)
- While living on campus, make sure your belongings are covered through your family’s homeowner’s insurance or a renter’s insurance policy.
- If bringing a computer, check for network compatibility and purchase any necessary accessories. For more information, visit myresnet.com. Our service provider, Apogee, will be available during move-in to assist new and returning students with their connectivity needs. If you have any questions prior to move-in, please call the Wi-Fi and Internet Support Help Line at 1-866-478-8865 or email Apogee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IMPORTANT FOR FRESHMEN: You must arrive during your assigned check-in time. Times are assigned by floor, and will be sent to your UAB student email account in August. If you arrive before your assigned time, you will be routed to park in a remote lot and then re-join the line at the appropriate time.
- NO TRAILERS or BOX TRUCKS WILL BE ALLOWED TO UNLOAD IN THE CIRCLE DURING MOVE-IN ON AUGUST 23 or AUGUST 24.
- Check weather for Birmingham, AL (35205) for move-in weekend so you’re prepared. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Move-in will take place on the designated days, RAIN OR SHINE.
- Make sure all items are packed in reusable totes or boxes (small enough to be carried) clearly labeled with student's name, residence hall, and room number – loose items can be easily misplaced. Every item must be labeled (i.e. pillows, lamps, hampers, comforter bags, TVs, etc.).
- Space is limited, and additional storage is not available – so communicating with your roommate(s) to avoid unnecessary duplicates is helpful.
- We suggest only bringing warm weather clothes at first, then switching to your cold weather wardrobe later in the term when needed.
- While we do allow students to bring their own furniture (small items), all university furniture must remain in your room during the year.
- NOTE: You are welcome to bring your own handtruck – please label with a tag or tape with room number and name – we will use and return to you when we have all belongings safely in your room.
IMPORTANT: Vehicles with a few small items or NO items should park remotely and rejoin your party in the circle. DO NOT stay in the carline if you have few or no items.
Once you are parked in the circle, we ask one member of your group to stay with your car until it is unloaded and then move to the parking deck on 16th Street South. Cars traveling together MAY NOT be able to park right next to each other to unload once in the circle. Rest assured, your belongings will still make it to your room!
Approved/Recommended Items to Bring:
- Laptop computer
- Backpack and other school essentials
- Bicycle, lock, helmet
- Pillow, blanket/bedspread
- Sheets/pillowcases (extra-long twin bed)
- Towels and toiletries
- Shower curtain and rings
- Desk lamp/desk organizer
- Drawer liner (not contact paper)
- Personal items (pictures, posters, etc.)
- White putty (sticky tack) to hang items on wall
- Surge protector
- Sewing kit
- Cleaning supplies
- Broom or small vacuum
- Laundry bag or basket, detergent, starch, dryer sheets, iron
- Clothes hangers
- Dishes, pots, pans, food storage containers
- Small microwave
- Can opener
- Personal radio/stereo with headphones
- Small TV and cable cord
- Lamp (single bulb and not halogen)
- Ear plugs
- Alarm clock
- Stamps and envelopes
- Small first aid kit (bandages, aspirin, cotton balls, etc.)
- Debit card, check book, driver’s license, insurance cards, passport/VISA, social security card, emergency contact information
Items NOT Allowed:
- Large stereo systems
- Pets (including fish)
- Halogen lamps
- Medusa lamps
- Appliances with exposed heating elements (hot plates, toaster ovens, etc.)
- Candles, incense, or fireworks
- Firearms or any other weapons (i.e. hunting knives, paintball guns, stun gun/tasers, etc.)
- Offensive wall/room decorations
- Double-sided tape or nails to hang items on surfaces
- Alcohol containers used as decoration
- Gas or charcoal grill
- For Freshmen move-in, cars will be queued in the right lane of University Boulevard going east and turn right onto 16th Street – we ask that everyone show courtesy to your fellow classmates by entering the line from the end and not the side streets closer to the front.
- Arrive during your assigned check-in time. Freshmen move-in times are assigned by floor and sent to your UAB student email account. If you arrive before your assigned time, you will be routed to park in a remote lot and then re-join the line at the appropriate time.
- While in line, please be patient – since most freshmen move in the first day, expect long lines and wait times. Once you reach the unloading zone, the Residence Life team and volunteers will be working hard to provide you with a smooth check-in process and prompt assistance moving your belongings to your room.
- If you have car trouble while in line, please call 205-934-2092 for assistance. The company we will be using for move-in accepts AAA if the issue exceeds a simple fix on site.
- While you are checking in, volunteers will be unloading your belongings and bringing them to your room. Please make sure one person stays with each car so when it is unloaded, it can be moved to the parking deck. All students, families, and friends will be asked to park in the parking deck on the corner of 10th Avenue South and 16th Street.
NOTE: The Blazer/Camp Circle will close at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 23; if you arrive after that time, please plan on unloading from the street or parking lot across from Blazer Hall. Volunteers will ONLY be available from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Upperclassmen students may begin moving into their residence halls on Wednesday and Thursday, August 20th and 21st from 4-9 p.m., and Sunday, August 24th, from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Please report directly to your assigned residence hall.
- Once you arrive in the lobby of your building, please stop at the check-in table with your UAB ONECard. If you have lost your card or have not received one yet, please visit the One Stop staff in the Blazer Hall Residence Life Center (across the breezeway from the Blazer Lobby).
- Meet your RA on your floor to complete your check-in paperwork.
- When the resident arrives to check-in with their RA an e-mail will automatically be sent to their UAB e-mail account containing their electronic Room Condition Form (RCF). The resident has 48 hours from the time of check-in to review their RCF and make any necessary edits.
- Check your room carefully and note any damages; damages found during check out that are not noted at check-in will incur charges at that time. Report any emergency maintenance issues to your front desk during move-in. We will address emergency issues (e.g., a/c, leaks, etc) immediately.
- UAB will be recycling cardboard boxes in the Blazer/Camp circle – please break all boxes down before placing in the designated dumpster.
- Visit the One Stop staff in the Blazer Residence Life Center for any questions you have concerning your meal plan, financial aid, parking, or paying your bill.
- Visit our service provider, Apogee, in the Blazer Hall Java Lounge for assistance setting up your Wi-Fi connection. You will be sent an email prior to move-in explaining how to set up your account, so you are ready to go upon arrival. If you have any questions prior to move-in, please call the Wi-Fi and Internet Support Help Line at 1-866-478-8865 or email Apogee at email@example.com.
- Attend your MANDATORY floor meeting move-in night to meet your neighbors, find out more about residence hall policies and procedures, and upcoming events on campus. You’ll also have an opportunity to ask any questions you have.
- Go to your first college event with your new classmates – 10 p.m. movie on the Campus Green
- Complete your Roommate Agreement – communication is the key to a successful relationship! Within the first few days after moving in, it is important to make time with your roommate(s) to fill out your roommate agreement so you can agree upon the “rules of your room.” Your RA is available to facilitate this discussion, and will keep the agreement on file in case you need to review or amend it during the year.
- Attend 5 Days ABLAZE and Welcome Week programs – you will receive a schedule in your welcome packet when you move in. You’ll meet a lot of new people and pick up pointers on making a smooth transition into college life at UAB!
- Upperclassmen students will move directly into their residence halls and will not utilize the traffic queue as shown above.
- Saturday Freshmen Traffic
- Please enter the move-in traffic queue from the west heading east.
- If you are coming from Hwy. 280/Red Mountain Expressway, we ask that you not turn left from University onto 16th Street and/or avoid left turns from side streets onto University Boulevard, as this creates excessive delays for through traffic.
- Vehicles with no items or few items to unload should park remotely (e.g. 16th Street parking deck) and offload items individually.
- We make every effort to utilize the circle for loaded vehicles with the bulk of the personal items.
- Arriving outside of your assigned move-in times will result in a delay in your access to the circle for unloading.
- Your cooperation is necessary to facilitate the monumental effort of moving over 1,000 freshmen onto campus in eight hours.