Residence Hall Features

Coed halls
Each apartment/suite is assigned to a single gender, but men’s and women’s apartments may share the same floor. Men and women may not share rooms.

Computer labs
Computer labs in Camp, Denman, and Rast halls are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our computers feature Internet access and are hooked to printers. You must provide your own paper.

You and your roommates can decorate your apartment or individual rooms with curtains and other accessories. Some halls have carpet, but as it wears out, it’s being replaced with tile.

Disability Support Services
Students who may require special accommodations should contact the Student Housing Office at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or by phone at (205) 934-2092 and follow registration procedures with UAB Disability Support Services.  All disability documentation should be submitted directly to DSS.  Contact their office at 205-934-4205 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

You can bring a few pieces of your own furniture, but be smart about it—you won’t be able to store or remove UAB furniture from your suite or apartment.

Visitors are welcome 24 hours a day, and overnight guests are allowed if all roommates agree. Each resident has four overnight guest privileges within a 30-day period. Hosts are responsible for their guests’ actions, and they must escort their guests at all times. Each guest must show a photo ID and sign in and out at the hall he or she visits.

Internet connections
Rooms in Blazer, Blount, Camp, Denman, and Rast halls feature high-speed Internet connections. Of course.

Your apartment or suite has a mailbox that you share with your roommate(s). Mailboxes are located in the lobby of each residence hall.

Meal Plans
Campus Restaurants offers seven meal plans. All undergraduates living in an on-campus residence hall must participate in one of the meal plans using their CampusCard.

You must purchase a hangtag from UAB Parking and Transportation Services in order to park in designated student lots.

Pets are not a feature of UAB residence halls—they aren’t allowed in the halls, with the exception of service animals for students with disabilities. Students with a disability who require the assistance of an animal must be registered with the Office of Disability Support Services.

You can request roommates on your housing application. Roommate requests must be mutual—if you request more than one roommate, each roommate must list all other roommates—and applications should be submitted at approximately the same time. Although we’ll make every effort to place you with the roommate of your choice, roommate requests can’t be guaranteed. Student Housing and Residential Life reserves the right to assign any applicant to any available space.

Roommate/Room Changes
Differences happen, but UAB encourages residents to try to work it out. Hey, learning to get along with people different from you is one of the reasons you’re in college. Room-change week is the second week of classes. If you want to change rooms within your hall or move to another hall, you must attend a room change meeting and fill out a room change request form with your building’s residence life coordinator (RLC) requesting the change and stating the reason why. Your RLC will discuss the request with you and let you know if it’s been approved. If you have an on-campus telephone, you must pay a $10 administrative fee to move your line to the new room. Room changes after the second week occasionally are granted, but you’ll be charged a $25 administrative fee.

Another important non-feature—smoking is not allowed in any residence hall, including on balconies.

Staff/Resident Assistants
If you have a question or problem, there’s always someone to turn to just down the hall. Staff members live in each residence hall to provide immediate personal service. A residence life coordinator oversees the operation of each hall or area, and throughout each facility, student staff members known as resident assistants (RAs) manage floor administration, developmental programming, peer mentoring, resource information, and enforcement of student housing policies. (If you’re interested in becoming an RA, e-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for more information.)

Each room and apartment is equipped for telephone service, which you can activate for a small fee. Just submit a request online via AskIT. To submit a request in person, visit the UAB Department of Telecommunications in room 107 of the Cudworth Building at 1919 University Blvd. Domestic long-distance service is included, and you’ll have the option of activating international long-distance service. International long-distance charges for each month are billed to the resident. For more information, call (205) 975-7262.

You and Your Stuff
What you bring is really up to you, but many residents will bring an alarm clock, bedding, cooking utensils, several lamps, a personal computer, plants, plates and silverware, a radio, a shower curtain, a TV, a telephone, towels, and of course the personal items that help you feel at home. You’ll need extra-long twin sheets for the twin beds. If you’ll be living in an apartment, you might want to go ahead and bring the stuff for your own room, then discuss the things you need for the common areas with your roommates. Some residents prefer to split the costs of common area items with their roommates. Our list of what to bring—and what not to bring—to campus can help you pack smart. Smart? Smartly? Someone call the English department to check on that, stat. (Aren’t we just the funniest academic medical center ever?)