Do you think you might meet in-state residency requirements? There are a number of factors that may be considered in determining in-state residency for tuition purposes, and you must be able to clearly prove your residency. Alabama, like other states, restricts resident tuition to persons who have been residing in Alabama for purposes other than to obtain an education and who are able to demonstrate contacts with the State of Alabama indicating intent to remain in this state. Resident tuition status is determined by the university, with regard to Alabama law, and the policies of the Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama System.

Applicants who meet one of the following conditions are generally reclassified as in-state residents for tuition purposes:

  • You are a regular, permanent full-time employee (not temporary) in the state or shall commence said employment not more than 90 days after registration or are the spouse or minor child of such an employee.
  • You are a veteran or member of the U.S. Military or Alabama National Guard, or spouse or dependent child of such a veteran or member, and meet the qualification criteria outlined in Board Rule 202.IV.
  • You are a member, the spouse, or dependent child of a member in the U.S. Military on full-time active duty stationed in Alabama under orders for duties other than attending school.
  • You are employed by UAB as a graduate assistant or fellow.
  • You have proof of continuous residence in Alabama for purposes other than to obtain an education and significant ties to the state for the 12 consecutive months prior to your initial enrollment in an Alabama institution of higher education.
Student typeApplicationSubmit toDue Date
Undergraduate student / Graduate Student Online application within BlazerNET Online submission August 1 (for fall semester) December 1 (for spring semester) May 1 (for summer semester)
Dental student Download application School of Dentistry Student Admissions SDB 125 July 1
Medical student Download application School of Medicine Admissions and Enrollment Management VH 107 As soon as requested, but no later than May 1
Optometry student Download application School of Optometry Student Affairs HPB 125 July 1

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I believe I have been incorrectly classified as a non-resident student?

A non-resident student who believes he or she has satisfied the residency requirement by being in the state primarily for a purpose other than to obtain an education with the intent to remain in the state indefinitely may complete and submit an “Application for Residency Reclassification.” A change in residency classification is never automatic. It is always the student’s responsibility to submit the application and supporting documentation.

Does living in the state for a year automatically make me eligible for in-state status?

No. You must submit documentation that shows you are residing in the state for purposes other than to obtain an education.

When is my residency status determined?

Residency determinations are made at the point of admission to UAB and shall continue unchanged through all subsequent registrations until satisfactory evidence to the contrary is submitted. The determination is based on information contained in the application for admission, transcripts and other documents required for admission.

I have two part time jobs does that equate to a full-time position for residency purposes?

No. The requirements for full-time employment are a full-time, not temporary, position as verified by the employer on letterhead. Proof of payment of Alabama state income taxes as a resident must be confirmed by submitting paycheck stubs with a minimum average of 30 hours per week and Alabama state tax withholdings or an Alabama resident state income tax return for the previous tax year.

What if I receive a Freshman Academic Scholarship based on my non-resident status?

If your request for reclassification is approved, your scholarship will be adjusted to an in-state award.

What is the resident status of immigrants and international students?

To be considered for in-state tuition, you must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident alien, or a legal alien granted indefinite stay by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Applicants on student or other temporary Visas are not eligible for instate residency.

What effect does property ownership in Alabama have on tuition classification?

Property ownership in Alabama does not, by itself, constitute residency or entitlement to resident tuition.

Does living in Alabama with a relative other than parent(s) or legal guardian have any effect on my residency status?

No. This would have no influence on residency status.

Can I receive in-state status if my spouse is employed by UAB as a graduate assistant or fellow?

No. Your spouse’s appointment status only allows him / her to receive in-state status for the duration of the assistantship or fellowship.

Can I receive in-state status if I am employed by UAB as a graduate assistant or fellow in a school other than the one I’m registering in?

No. Your appointment status only allows you to receive in-state status for the duration of the assistantship or fellowship in the school for which you are appointed.

If I no longer live in student housing, am I eligible for in-state status?

No. You must prove that you are residing in the state for purposes other than to obtain an education.

Except for the past couple of years, I lived in Alabama my entire life. Shouldn’t I (and/or my children and spouse) still be considered a resident?

In determining a person’s eligibility for residency, the state guidelines are primarily concerned only with the 12-month period immediately preceding the initial registration. The cumulative time a person lived in Alabama is not relevant if the person has moved away from Alabama and established residency in another state.

Is there a deadline for submitting the “Application for Residency Reclassification?”

Yes. The application and supporting documentation must be submitted by the appropriate deadline outlined on the application.

After reading the residency guidelines, I think I should have been considered resident months ago. Can I apply for a prior semester and get a refund if I can document I was a resident then?

No. You must submit the application and supporting documentation by the deadline for the semester / term in which you are applying for reclassification. Applications received after the deadline for the current term will be considered for the next term.

Can I receive in-state status since I have lived in the state during the twelve-month period prior to the date of my initial registration at UAB attending another institution?

No. You must submit documentation to support that you have been residing in Alabama for purposes other than to obtain an education.

After earning my undergraduate degree, I plan to immediately attend graduate school and stay indefinitely in the state. Am I eligible for in-state status?

Not unless you meet the requirements for residency as outlined on the Application for Residency Reclassification.

Do I qualify for Section 702 Choice Act if I am a dependent receiving post 9/11 benefits and my parents are still on active duty?

No, only military personnel who have been honorably discharged within the past three years may qualify.

Do I qualify for section 702 Choice Act if I have been out of the service for more than three years?

No, the veteran must have been discharged in the past three years to qualify.

What if I have a certificate from my state to participate in the Academic Common Market?

You do not need to complete the residency reclassification. Certification of eligibility should be submitted to UAB directly from your state coordinator.

Can I appeal a residency decision?

Yes. Decisions made by the residency officer may be appealed in writing by the student to the University Registrar who may, at his or her discretion, convene a review committee composed of appropriate UAB officials. Students may appeal the Registrar’s decision to the Provost. The Provost’s decision is final.

uab logo

Cost & Aid