Students who have completed the financial aid application process before the first payment deadline of the semester and have been notified that they are scheduled to receive aid will have the financial aid award deducted from the amount due for initial payment. This amount will be due the day after the drop/add deadline.
The financial aid award applied to the student’s account at the beginning of the term will only include those sources of aid which are distributed at the beginning of the term — for example, aid such as grants, loans and/or scholarships. Federal Work-Study or stipends paid to individuals over the course of the term will not be applied to student balances before the semester begins. It is the student’s responsibility to use Federal Work-Study, stipends, and other similar funds to cover school expenses as needed.
Students who have met the requirements for UAB Educational Assistance 10 days before the first payment deadline of the semester will have the amount of anticipated educational assistance deducted from the amount due for initial payment. Students receiving support from non-university sources (VA, GI Bill, PACT, etc.) should contact Student Accounting and complete the processes required by the Third-Party Vendor by the first payment deadline of the semester. Payments from these sources also will be deducted from the amount due for initial payment.
Student balances calculated after available aid is applied will be available in BlazerNET after completion of both registration and financial aid processing. Students who have applied for and/or are seeking any of the above types of aid but have not completed the process must pay the required balance by the appropriate due date.
Military Tuition Assistance (TA)
Each military service branch and component has their own criteria for Tuition Assistance eligibility, military service obligation, application process and restrictions. It is recommended you speak with your chain of command and a University of Alabama at Birmingham representative for further guidance to request your TA benefits.
Prior to enrolling and using tuition assistance at The University of Alabama at Birmingham, please speak with your Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within your military service.
For more information, review your military service website for details on your eligibility and the process for requesting tuition assistance.
To Apply for Tuition Assistance
Follow the instructions for your military service branch regarding how to request Tuition Assistance (TA) through the perspective portal for your course(s) in your military education portal. Take note of the TA application instructions/deadlines specific to your branch and The University of Alabama at Birmingham academic calendar to ensure your request is processed in a timely manner.
- Receive Academic Advising.
- Register for courses.
- Request Tuition Assistance by selecting the TA request link.
- You will receive an email confirmation acknowledging your form is being sent forward to the University of Alabama at Birmingham Veteran Services Office for processing.
For each term, service members can begin requesting TA 60 days prior to the start of classes.
All TA requests must be submitted and approved at least seven days prior to the start of classes each semester to allow time for processing. TA requests submitted fewer than seven business days before the start date and that are not approved prior to the start date will not be considered for TA funding for that term.
General Information about Military Tuition Assistance
- TA is exclusive to currently serving members of the Armed Forces. If your ETS date falls during the academic semester you will not get TA for that semester.
- TA is requested on a course-by-course basis, and each course must be part of an approved degree program.
- TA cannot be used for a lateral degree (you cannot use TA to earn a second bachelor’s degree)
- TA can be reimbursed for up to 100% of the course cost, not to exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $4500 per fiscal year applies for Air Force, Navy, and Marines. Army cannot exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $4000 per fiscal year and Coast Guard cannot exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $2250 per fiscal year. (Fiscal year resets on October 1)
- TA may NOT cover all course fees.
- TA can be used in conjunction with the GI Bill®, but with some restrictions; contact The University of Alabama at Birmingham for guidance at 205-934-8804 or email
- TA requests should be completed prior to the start of the semester. Each military service branch has its own deadline.
- TA is a tuition reimbursement program; you will not receive an up-front payment. Payments are made directly to the University and may be applied later in the semester.