This week, UAB Magazine's special 40th anniversary issue looks at genes (and Genes) in all of their many forms and functions, including:
• a coach who outfoxed his opponents on the court;
• gene therapists who are faking out cancer with custom-made viruses;
• scientists who beat the herpes virus at its own game;
• researchers who are crushing cystic fibrosis by repairing and replacing broken genes; and
• dentists who fended off back pain and fatigue with a new approach to patient care.
The online edition of UAB Magazine also has several exclusive features, including a new photo gallery of classic memories from UAB Archives, UAB's first viral video and future predictions from a panel of UAB experts.
Check back each weekday from now through November 16 as we unveil new breakthroughs and other exclusive online content.