Q:  Are there any scholarships specifically for Secondary Education students?

Answer:  Currently, the CESAME program provides scholarships for AMP students preparing to teach science or mathematics. Visit the CESAME website for additional details.   Other scholarships are available through the School of Education.  Visit the School of Education scholarships page for additional information.

Q: Where do I park at UAB?

Answer: The UAB School of Education is located at 901 13th Street South, in Birmingham, Alabama.  The school sits in the middle of a block between 13th and 14th Streets South, and University Blvd and 10th Avenue South.  Parallel parking spaces (most with 2-hour meters) are available along 13th and 14th Streets, and along 10th Avenue South. If you plan to park in a UAB lot, you must first obtain a permit from UAB Parking and Transportation Services.  Parking permits can be applied for online or in person. However, if you have classes in the evenings or on weekends, you may not need a parking permit.

 Q: What employment resources are available?

Answer:UAB Career Services hosts recruiting interviews for teaching jobs annually in the Spring. Watch for notices on Education Career Fairs.

Q:  If I find a teaching position while still enrolled in the Alternative Masters Program (AMP) will it count as student teaching?

Answer: Yes it probably will.  However, make sure you discuss this with your advisor and with the Office of Clinical Experiences.

Q: Do I have to be a full time teacher to enroll in the Alternative Masters Program (AMP)?

Answer: No.  In fact, because most AMP students work part-time or full-time, they are part-time students.

Q: Do I have to take my coursework in a particular order?

Answer: All AMP students must take EDU 500 and EHS 600 during their first semester.  However, after that, there is more flexibility as to course sequence.  Please consult your advisor for a personalized course of study for your chosen degree.

Q: Is a degree-seeking graduate school application enough to get admitted in the Alternative Masters Program (AMP)?

Answer: Yes.  As of 2013, the degree-seeking application provides admission simultaneously to the Graduate School and to the AMP.

Q: How can I get certified to teach when I am in the Alternative Masters program?

Answer:  After you have been unconditionally admitted to the AMP, you may seek employment as a teacher.  After a school hires you, the school will give you an application for a special alternative certificate (SAC).  You must bring the SAC application to the Office of Student Services (EB 232).  After your SAC application has been verified and signed by our SOE Associate Dean, you will be asked to pick up the form and return it to the school.  Your school will then send your SAC application to the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE).  If you are teaching with a SAC, you have only 3 years to complete the AMP.  For further clarification, contact Dr. Spezzini.

Q:  Do I have to take a Comprehensive Exam towards the the end of my program?

Answer:   Students who were admitted to the Traditional Master's and the Educational Specialist Programs on an earlier checklist must take a comprehensive exam. These students should contact their advisors one semester prior to their anticipated graduation. Students in the Undergraduate Program, Alternative Masters Program (AMP) and the new checklists for the traditional MA and EdS program do an electronic portfolio.

Q:  Do I have to apply for a degree?

Answer:  Yes, for more information see the Office of Student Services.

Q:  What is the National Board Certification and how do I get it?

Answer: Visit the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards website for current information.